A4000 re-work the config open to suggestions

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
So, I started to much postings about this machine, I feel I would try another configuration. (not willing to give it up).

The help I've received on here was alway's first class, usefull, meaningfull, and learningfull, but the machine played up all the time with different issues:oops:, I must say I've got more technical help on here then I got from hp when having a contract (beining sysadmin)(y)..Maybe if amibay needs money, you'll better start a paid pc support forum:Doh:

So let's start:

the 68060 MK1 with scsi is crammed togeter with an IDE dvd, pci mediator, the deneb, the pci card, there is no air left, and another post was about a crammed scsi cable.:( Truth is, it does not feel right to use it this way..The machine played up to frequently with problems. (deneb, pci, hard disk probs, ide controller probs, scsi controller probs, heating the indivision etc..)

I have two solutions in my head, one long term spendig some bucks, secondly short time not spending money at all

number 1) (for free parts in house, short term)

Forget about the scsi disk, together with the cable it leaves no room ++ remove the ide dvd and put in a ide cf adaptor in that bay, use the external port of the scsi MK1 and add an old apple scsi cdrom.

cheap ass addon: (say it if it's not possible please)

Enlarge the SCSI cdrom case and put a scsi hard drive extra on that interface, perhaps using a drive bay from a cut case for the time. use an old laptop psu to power the drive and use an 7805 and 78012 to take 19 volt down to the right value.. 5V and 12V do I need to take the 12V for the 7805? Please tech guys say if it is strong enough then?

2) When I've got some small money to spend buy localy: Source some external devices cdrom bay, (with like 6 cdrom slots) (ex server) and put scsi devices in there. (like hard disks & cdroms) (I am not in a position to buy anything, I am saving to buy my last missing big box amiga..)

AND I would like to add some fans in the A4000 with the space gained, probably using the small hole in the double cf etc, using the back holes next to the zorro brackets etc...

Are these methods ok:

To boot from the scsi?
Fast enough?
Doable?

Do you support my vision, to avoid heat, leave enough power, leave more air, have a machine you like to see open and and closed without feeling that it's going to explode..

Thanks in advance for helping me with my s***t once more..

I removed the ide dvdrom, the scsi disk, and put a ide cf in place.

I've noticed for the first time some probs with some cf cards with this adapter, previously working cf ones!!

I'll play outside the case with scsi cdrom & disk.

It looks like it's getting air again..

Hello my friend, lets see

So let's start:

the 68060 MK1 with scsi is crammed togeter with an IDE dvd, pci mediator, the deneb, the pci card, there is no air left, and another post was about a crammed scsi cable.:( Truth is, it does not feel right to use it this way..

indeed, all those components crammed in will only cause a heat build up

The machine played up to frequently with problems. (deneb, pci, hard disk probs, ide controller probs, scsi controller probs, heating the indivision etc..)

its also a possibility its a Buster revision problem, what buster chip have you installed on the A4000 ?

I have two solutions in my head, one long term spendig some bucks, secondly short time not spending money at all

Cheap is good, I like cheap.... I have been told I am all about the cheapness =)

number 1) (for free parts in house, short term)

Forget about the scsi disk, together with the cable it leaves no room ++ remove the ide dvd and put in a ide cf adaptor in that bay, use the external port of the scsi MK1 and add an old apple scsi cdrom.

this is a good idea, you could also buld a small SCSI tower or base unit to house more HDD's Optical drives etc... very cheap to make with spare bits.

cheap ass addon: (say it if it's not possible please)

Enlarge the SCSI cdrom case and put a scsi hard drive extra on that interface, perhaps using a drive bay from a cut case for the time. use an old laptop psu to power the drive and use an 7805 and 78012 to take 19 volt down to the right value.. 5V and 12V do I need to take the 12V for the 7805? Please tech guys say if it is strong enough then?

This is what I have done for my A500HD+8, I am yet to finish and take pictures, the unit I had already supplies a solid +5 and +12 volt rail, if you look around I am sure you could find this close to home for next to nothing.

For making your own, I would look at a small PC destop case or tower, this provides lots of power already done for you and plenty of expandability AND you can turn it off/on as you need it.

When running fixed regulators as you suggest you need to make sure your AMPS are available.

I for every device you plan to add I would suggest atleast 1 7805 and 78012 (with cap and resistor filters).

the 7805 is being fed from the 78012, the +12v output from the 78012 also feeds the device

remember regulators make a lot of noise on the circuit so always filter them. Now both these regs are cheap and its better to make sure they are not taxed with too much load as they will heat up and go pop!

Make sure you get regulators that provide upto 1amp draw (you wont really need half that, but its better to have it for cleaner power)

since you are building your own power rails make sure that you follow my good friend rkauers advice, he knows this stuff much better than I in this regard.

2) When I've got some small money to spend buy localy: Source some external devices cdrom bay, (with like 6 cdrom slots) (ex server) and put scsi devices in there. (like hard disks & cdroms) (I am not in a position to buy anything, I am saving to buy my last missing big box amiga..)

This would be the best solution, its such a shame my friend I have a full Tower 6x 5.25" bays + 2x 3.5 external bays (4x 3.5 internal) you could have it for postage.

I have no idea what that would be.,... but I doubt cheap.... do you have a local recycling center? perhaps people are throwing away old PC chassis, they do over here!

I would look at a small destop chassis, perhaps even workstation 2U height stuff, but that could get expensive with adpaters etc.

AND I would like to add some fans in the A4000 with the space gained, probably using the small hole in the double cf etc, using the back holes next to the zorro brackets etc...

Low oscialtion (low speed 80/120mm) fan would be more than enough to keep things working well...

remember adding to many fans to a Power Rail will start to introduce noise / ripple on that power line.

Are these methods ok:

I thinks so,

To boot from the scsi?
Fast enough?
Doable?

sure, external devices as long as they are terminated are transparent to the HOST, it matters not if its inside the case or outside, you should still get the same performance.

Its most certainly do-able, people have being using external SCSI since before the dinosaurs etc =)

Do you support my vision, to avoid heat, leave enough power, leave more air, have a machine you like to see open and and closed without feeling that it's going to explode..

Support, not only that I completely recommend it!

You cannot enjoy a system if you worry if its going to die from heat or not even boot up the next time you press the ON button.

Thanks in advance for helping me with my s***t once more..

No worries my friend, its what the community is all about..

if you need help with SCSI setups etc, just gimmie a shout.

Zetro,

Thanks for helping once more (y) I'll have a look this evening for the buster chip? It's was a commodore 68030 machine, with cpu on card.

I looked everywhere there is no one doing away an old scsi cage local cabinet at a reasonable price. I'll go for that in long term, I can get an external 1x extra case for free, but would like a large one, since the cables psu's etc, it will be a new mess...:whistle:

If you really don't need it, how much would be shipping? Payday is becoming near.

It's rather strange that after the fine help I got on here, the machine is still not up to ready. Might be because I did not have any experience with large box amiga. I also removed the DENEB. It's more responsive now.

Maybe I can source another ZIII machine to test it there further...Let's hope so..

The voltage levels where already checked, I think it was 4.86 cold.

There is no sign of leaking caps..

Mouse played up yesterday (only once) Gently refitting the cocolino and it's working again.. I played a little with amigasys on cf, downgrading amigasys a little.

I also learned a new vision:

The cf adapter that I got now has a problem with certain cf cards. (previously working with other adapter)

Could it be that we are all looking at the wrong end, meaning looking at cf cards, but that it's the ide->cf that needs attention?

Jurgen,

Ok, the superbuster say's xxxxxxxx-11 hope that is good news. I'll continue testing next day, in a rush to help a friend to deal with his loss of his father..

Hi jvdbossc,
Rev11 Buster is good, all the best with your machine.

Charlie,

Txs, I figured that.. Don't know much what it is about, noticed it is important for some cards..

A pic:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Well the left part is removed, but the right part was before troublesome, now there is at least some air to travel:

mediator pci question

mediator pci question

So I started to put all the cards in.. The Deneb works in Zorro II only mode, but it's good enough for me.

The troublechild is the Mediator I have no experience whatsover with it, Picasso 96 can't find my card, (voodoo 3 pci) and I installed the driver.. I did not realise it's a hacking operation.

I hope anybody can help me with next screen, since I have a clue, but not that much, so any idea what to answer? What **** jumper ??

Many txs

The mediator has a memory Window jumper on the card.

Set it to 256Mb for Voodoo 3
Set it to 512Mb for Voodoo 5500

Kin

Kin,

Where is that jumper? I removed the busboard it has 3 jumpers:

Master: on
Winsize : on
Swapconfig: off

For the rest I don't see jumpers, or are they on the solder back?

txs

jurgen

Ooh sorry should have thought longer about it;)

Going to do some more this evening, hope to post a rtg screen.

txs(y)

The winsize jumper was on, I already installed voodoo 3 drivers, it is reported by the systool I think as A16 MB card.

I over installed the Amigasys picasso 96 using cybervision setting, I renamed the monitor file to voodoo. (following a manual)

When I put winsize to off the machine gives recoverable alerts not getting anywhere usable. (the vga output doing nothing ofcourse)

When I leave it to on, picasso sees no board to define, when it's of the system does boot a little but not much before error.

http://www.elx.neostrada.pl/graphics/graphics1.shtml.htm

I must say I never owned an rtg card on amiga, so I am a complete...with this one:oops:

---------- Post added at 18:44 ---------- Previous post was at 18:29 ----------

Where it goes wrong with the jumper to on is here

http://www.elx.neostrada.pl/graphics/graphics3.shtml.htm

so no card on this part:

[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial]'Attach Setting to' then select 'Board 0: Voodoo'

The Settings Window should now update to 'Voodoo (1): New Setting' You could rename the New setting to something else. I put 'Elbox Mediator'.

[/FONT]

Your Mediator board could need a couple of MACH chips replacing. Email your Serial number to Elbox & explain the problem. They will instruct you how to resolve by creating a mediator report & then sending the report info back to them.

Kin

Kin,

I've done a couple of negative postings on here.. I even send messages to the reseller, Elbox does not react at all..

If you have got learninfull how to behave with them tips, I'll be glad to accept them.

Jurgen,

Great thread jvdbossc I`ll be following you progress

I got a CV64/3d card for my A4000 a couple of weeks ago and thats my first RTG card too :)

Its just one big learning curve

oh the Joy of Amiga Hardware, Loveing IT

@kin looking at all the great stuff & experience you've done/got, (like the A1200 tower on here) I'll take you are quite sure about the needed mach chip?

@cosmicfrog, yes it is helpfull and learningfull up here, but I am not in a good mood right now, I feel like and old lady complaining all day, stuff like this gets me mad, i bought a new product, and payed full, tired of:

@elbox: go and ***** bl**dy **** go and **** yours****

@E3B & INDIVIDUAL & AMIBAY: (y)(y)(y)

I appreciate your comments Jurgen, but I am no God in this field. Just a wanna be user & abuser like yourself. ;)
I just did an Email search & found this for you Dated August 8th 2009....

Hello,
Please let us know the serial number of this Mediator (the number printed
on the white label placed on the top side of the Mediator board, and
on the Mediator carton box).
Send us also the ram:MedReport.txt file generated by the MedConfig program.
Use the current MedConfig version available at
<http://www.elbox.com/downloads_mediator.html>.
Direct link: http://elbox.com/download/MedConfig.lha
We will analyse, where the problem lies.
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you need further assistance.
Thank you for using Elbox's online support services.
Best regards,
Support Department of ELBOX COMPUTER
Web site: http://www.elbox.com
Online Store: http://buy.elbox.com

So m8, going for Gold, get all this stuff together & post it to them with as breif as possible explanation from yourself. Just ask if your Mediator is up to scratch.

Serial Number should be on the Mediator itself. Don't worry about the carton box number, but by all means, use it if you have it. It's the same Serial# on the carton box & the Mediator. ;)

You can see the results of the Mediator report I generated. Don't forget though, your's could be different to mine & I have absolutely no idea what they look at to decide what is what & deduce what needs replacing. Elbox make out like it's almost like a dark art or something. :LOL:

Best of Luck,

Charlie

PS. Open the file with WordPad, not NotePad. (y)

Attachments

• MedReport2.TXT
    5.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
@Kin, thanks a lot for informing, I'll know already what to do then, is there another source to get the chips? (if they don't react)

Back
Top Bottom