Recommend a monitor

sir_beaker

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
Alresford
Well typically I am really busy with work and my monitor I use for programming died this evening. It started flickering this afternoon and this evening I get a blank screen after a few seconds following turning it on. Tried a couple of VGA cables and machines but all do the same.

Has anyone bought one recently and could recommend one? The current one is 22 inches I think and full HD.

If I could use it for hooking up various consoles or computers too after work that would be a bonus :)

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

The Samsung displays are the best at present. Might aswell get a telly with smart, wifi and 3D too

Last edited by a moderator:
Recommend a monitor

Eizo make some of the highest quality monitors out there, but they can be on the pricey side.

Last edited:
Is this due to the high resolutions they support and the screen quality?

The Eizo model range looks pretty much 'made to function' with little thought to how they look as a piece of furniture.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a Viewsonic monitor myself, and can't fault it. Probably less-useful to some, but their out-of-the-box colour-calibration is pretty true-to-life (I find it invaluable for ordering fabrics online when the option to purchase samples isn't available), and that's a worthwhile feature.

Bad experience with Samsung, here. Got one in the living room. Just out of warranty, large groups of horizontal lines of pixels started dying. The motion on it was never very good-looking, either.

The Samsung HDTV's I own are grat and no such issues with motion etc.. depends on model for any make.

For monitors, for cheaper ones I normally buy Iiyama. Not always the best out of everything available, but always a good price, and I've used them for years. My old 17" ones I purchased a very long time ago are still going string, and the 22" one I use on my server has a really nice display.

For something larger with good colour accuracy and high resolution I always buy Dell. The U2711 I have is a brilliant monitor. If you want a monitor you can connect pretty much anything to then look at the 24" version of the Dell, the U2410. This has inputs for everything you would need (DVI, Display port, HDMI, Component, VGA, Composite etc) and it even supports native 15Hz resolutions. You can plug an Amiga directly into these Dell monitors via the VGA port and they display fine. Same for other retro hardware.

Recommend a monitor

Beaker is looking for a monitor, not a tv. If it were a tv, then I'd recommend something else :)

The speed and colour representation is why I recommend the Eizo.

Last edited:
Dell U2713HM is good bang for the buck.

I used to have two 22" FullHD monitors side by side. One higher resolution 27" is better.
There is never too much desktop space when programming, using CAD etc. It's nice to have datasheets and documents open and an IDE or a CAD at the same time.

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't mind considering TV's. It's been 4 years since I looked to buy a monitor and wasn't sure if it's worth considering a TV with HDMI input as an alternative? Being a remote worker the company provide me with the most basic of laptops and anything else to make my life easier is at my own expense, so being dual purpose would be useful but not essential.

@Plazma - You're right, there's never enough desktop space when you're using desktop sharing software to dial into companies, have various VM's running development software like SQL Server, Visual Studio and Delphi, as well as having various messenger software and email running, and word documents open with RFC's etc... The 1366x768 resolution on this laptop is next to useless :D

The one that's just gone is a Dell. It was lovely while it was working but it's only lasted 3 years and 11 months :( I do like the idea of being able to plug my Amiga into it though, I wonder if I could have done that with the one that's just gone... :) I could have one 1200 hooked up to the CRT and the other hooked up to the monitor :)

I'll have a look at Samsung this weekend to get me through the weekend (I can always use the TV somewhere else around the house :)) and then have a look at one of the others as a more permanent solution. Thanks :)

Back
Top Bottom