PDA

View Full Version : For Sale GOTEK floppy emulator with SOUND modification

robinsonb5
26th April 2014, 11:16
I've recently been playing with the Gotek floppy emulator, and found its complete silence a bit disconcerting - so I came up with a modification to add head-stepping clicks using a piezo sounder.
Here's a prototype in operation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-nhcgALcDE
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-nhcgALcDE)
I have three units for sale (in black), with the sound modification done and the programming headers added. Please note: in accordance with the wishes of the developer of the Amiga-compatible firmware, these drives are no longer supplied pre-flashed. You wlil need to upload the firmware file yourself using a suitable USB-TTL adapter.

More units are on order so please declare interest here if you'd like one.
Batch 1
Payment received from Damon1971 - unit dispatched
Deal complete with Z3Spacial - feedback left
Payment received from Friend_plus - unit dispatched

Batch 2 - drives received, awaiting modification / flashing.
In line
* BrooksterMax (black) - payment received
* Manic23 (white) - feedback left
* Snoozy (white) - unit dispatched
* DonAmiga(white) - feeback left
* Kitman (white) - unit dispatched
* Drutt (white) - feedback left
* GaryBensel (Black) - unit dispatched
* Holzroller (white) - feedback left
* Z3Spacial (white) - unit dispatched
* Thanius (white) - Interest withdrawn for the time being
* Matu75 (white) - Interest withdrawn

Batch 3
Lord (Black) - payment received
Gede (White) - payment received
Juri (potentially interested in future)
Srashak (White) - payment received

(For anyone unaware of how to use this, you need a USB flash drive containing the selector.adf file from the firmware archive found on this page: http://cortexamigafloppydrive.wordpress.com - and also ADFs of the disks you want to emulate.)

Asking £30 each unit, buyer to pay postage and PayPal fees.

I shall do some more in the near future, so if you want one declare interest here, and say which colour you'd prefer (black or white).

Please note: in the first batch, I wired the piezo sounder to the 12v pin on the Gotek unit. This works fine when the drive's in an actual Amiga, but it turns out most external enclosures don't bother connecting that pin, so the sound mod in batch 1 doesn't work in external units.
For batch 2 I will wire the sounder to the 5v pin instead (at the cost of a little volume)
I also discovered another quirk of the sound modification: because there's no drive select circuitry on the sounder, the drive sounds happen when any floppy drive attached to the system is accessed, not just the Gotek unit!

Damon1971
26th April 2014, 13:23
Can I have one please declare interest.

Snoozy
26th April 2014, 13:34
have you any of these in white?

liam1101
26th April 2014, 13:45
Hi have a gotek drive which I would like to modify will you do this for me. Also I am still having problems with flashing would you like to help.

Regards

William

robinsonb5
26th April 2014, 14:34
have you any of these in white?

Not yet, but I can always order some. They don't arrive quickly, however!

Hi have a gotek drive which I would like to modify will you do this for me. Also I am still having problems with flashing would you like to help.

Yes, certainly - if anyone wants an existing drive modded I'll do them for £13.50, buyer to pay postage both ways and PayPal fees.
(Also happy to flash at the same time, of course :) )

Sending PMs to Damon and liam1101...

z3spacial
26th April 2014, 15:25
Interested, sending PM

Payment sent

Friend_plus
26th April 2014, 16:26
Interested, sending PM

- - - Updated - - -

Payment sent!

liam1101
26th April 2014, 16:28
recived pm. posting asap. so excited :)

BrooksterMax
26th April 2014, 17:45
Hi, looks great and I would to like to declare interest for your next wave (Black please)

manic23
27th April 2014, 13:17
Oooh can I please be in line for a white one from the next batch? thanks :)

robinsonb5
27th April 2014, 15:23
Hi, looks great and I would to like to declare interest for your next wave (Black please)

No problem :)

Oooh can I please be in line for a white one from the next batch? thanks :)

Likewise, no problem - first post edited accordingly :)

manic23
27th April 2014, 15:32

Snoozy
27th April 2014, 20:27
[QUOTE=Snoozy;598861]have you any of these in white?

Can i have one ordered in white please?

thanius
27th April 2014, 21:06
I'm interested in a white one, please!

robinsonb5
27th April 2014, 21:36
Snoozy and Thanius added to The List - thanks :)

Akira
29th April 2014, 10:03
Sorry to derail this a bit, but is this sound mod available anywhere for download, for those who get their hands dirty with modifications and stuff? Really cool stuff!

DonAmiga
29th April 2014, 10:30
Nice one :) I'd be interested in a white one, if you could add me to your list :)

robinsonb5
29th April 2014, 13:55
Sorry to derail this a bit, but is this sound mod available anywhere for download, for those who get their hands dirty with modifications and stuff? Really cool stuff!

Yes indeedy - have a look here if you want to roll up your sleeves and have a go yourself :) http://retroramblings.net/?p=777
(Watch out, the photo shows a 2N7000 even though the schematic says BS270 - the latter would be flat-side-down, not flat-side-up as shown in the photo.)

(Adding DonAmiga to The List :) )

Akira
29th April 2014, 14:11
Yes indeedy - have a look here if you want to roll up your sleeves and have a go yourself :) http://retroramblings.net/?p=777
VERY appreciated man!!!!!

Kitman
29th April 2014, 16:43
Declaring interest in a future unit when available.
...in White

KM

manic23
29th April 2014, 16:55
See what you started robinsonb5? seems like you have a lot of interest in these babys.

drutt
29th April 2014, 18:31
And more interest to declare... White ideally please, but not that fussed.

Thanks!

Steve

robinsonb5
29th April 2014, 19:32
See what you started robinsonb5? seems like you have a lot of interest in these babys.

Yup, I need to order yet more drives! They do take a few weeks to arrive, but once they're here I'll turn them around as soon as I can. If anyone wants to avoid the wait and already has a suitable drive, I'm happy to do the mod on existing units.

liam1101
30th April 2014, 19:27
Hi

Payment sent to robinsonb5 with paypal. Thanks

robinsonb5
30th April 2014, 19:50
Payment sent to robinsonb5 with paypal. Thanks

Payment received - thanks - will do my best to post tomorrow, along with Damon's drive.

matu75
1st May 2014, 16:02
Hi declare interest about one white unit. Thanks.

robinsonb5
1st May 2014, 17:40
matu75 added to The List. Damon's unit despatched, and liam1101's unit flashed, modified and returned to the post.

garybensel
2nd May 2014, 04:01
I would like a black one

holzroller
2nd May 2014, 17:49
I would take one too. in grey if it is possible, nut black is OK also.. :)
PM sent!

z3spacial
3rd May 2014, 19:02
Arrived and installed in my 500+, works brilliantly, and the sound makes a big difference!

robinsonb5
12th May 2014, 19:29
I have some more units in stock now - will start contacting people as I modify them, in the order listed in the first post. :)

My original mod used the +12v pin to power the sounder - it turns out this wasn't a great idea, because a lot of external drive enclosures don't bother to connect this pin! Therefore the new batch will power the sounder from +5v instead (and be very slightly quieter as a result.)

One other thing I noticed while figuring out the external drive issue: because there's no drive select circuitry, the sounder clicks when *any* drive is sent the head step signal - not just the Gotek!

matu75
13th May 2014, 08:01
Sorry but I would withdraw my interest.

Snoozy
13th May 2014, 08:26
Payment sent for white, pm.d address details, thanks

robinsonb5
13th May 2014, 09:28
Sorry but I would withdraw my interest.

No problem :)

Payment sent for white, pm.d address details, thanks

Payment received, thanks :)

DonAmiga
13th May 2014, 10:00
Payment sent :)

z3spacial
13th May 2014, 10:49
Hi m8. I'd like another one of these please, preferably in white. Could you let me know when available and I'll pay straight away ? THANKS

robinsonb5
13th May 2014, 13:59
Hi m8. I'd like another one of these please, preferably in white. Could you let me know when available and I'll pay straight away ? THANKS

No problem - just added you to The List :)

I have six units nearly complete which I will probably finish tonight, then I'll be in touch with anyone on the list that I haven't yet contacted.

drutt
14th May 2014, 14:06
PMs and payment sent :)

Juri
14th May 2014, 17:12
hello robinsonb5,
i could be interested in this device in future, may you please add a photo of the white unit when you have some time? i visited your page but it show only the black unit (there are some zoomed pictures of the power connector that appear to be taken to a white unit)
thank you very much!
Juri

Snoozy
15th May 2014, 16:11
Drive received, will leave feedback once tested, thanks :)

holzroller
15th May 2014, 18:23
Payment done! awaiting shipment... :D

manic23
16th May 2014, 00:42
Received mine today, thanks :)

robinsonb5
16th May 2014, 00:51
i could be interested in this device in future, may you please add a photo of the white unit when you have some time? i visited your page but it show only the black unit (there are some zoomed pictures of the power connector that appear to be taken to a white unit)

No problem at all - I'll take some photos as soon as I get a few spare minutes. They're actually a fairly neutral light grey, rather than the usual computer beige colour.

DonAmiga
16th May 2014, 01:16
Received today :)

Feedback left ;)

Cheers

z3spacial
17th May 2014, 12:28
2nd unit received and working. Feedback left.

THANKS ALOT for this service!

liam1101
19th May 2014, 21:10
Gotek received works fab!
Would deal with again

drutt
21st May 2014, 12:23
Received, setup and working. Sound mod works really well. Many thanks!

holzroller
21st May 2014, 21:11
item recieved, but not tested jet... But: positive Feedback left anyway... :)

robinsonb5
25th May 2014, 22:37
Thanks to everyone who's completed deals and left feedback - I think I'm up to date now.

I now have four more drives available, so if anyone else would like one please let me know.

Here's a photo of the "white" (actually pale neutral grey) unit, as requested:

Lord
26th May 2014, 13:17
If there is a unit available in white ? or a gray if no white is available

robinsonb5
26th May 2014, 16:11
If there is a unit available in white ? or a gray if no white is available

Yes, I have two pale grey and two black available at the moment.

BrooksterMax
26th May 2014, 21:05
Payment sent - thanks for holding on until I was paid. :)

robinsonb5
26th May 2014, 21:49
No problem - payments received from BrooksterMax and Lord - thanks for that, will post tomorrow.

One of each colour in stock and ready to go. (And a couple more black ones awaiting conversion.)

Kitman
26th May 2014, 22:11
Hi, My unit arrived last week, many thanks.

KM

robinsonb5
28th May 2014, 13:36
BrooksterMax's and Lord's drives posted. :)

ElectroBlaster
28th May 2014, 14:09
@O/P
Any possibility of me being able to obtain the circuit and piezo pre assembled or in parts from yourself? I have two Goteks here without the mods. Would like to add sound :)

robinsonb5
28th May 2014, 19:38
@O/P
Any possibility of me being able to obtain the circuit and piezo pre assembled or in parts from yourself? I have two Goteks here without the mods. Would like to add sound :)

That's something I hadn't considered, but I don't see why not. Let's say £2.50 for the parts needed to convert 1 drive, or £7.50 for one pre-assembled rat's nest ready for you to solder to three pins on the underneath of the Gotek PCB.

Buyer to pay postage and Paypal fees (or gift payment) as with complete drives.

ElectroBlaster
28th May 2014, 21:49
@O/P

That's something I hadn't considered, but I don't see why not. Let's say £2.50 for the parts needed to convert 1 drive, or £7.50 for one pre-assembled rat's nest ready for you to solder to three pins on the underneath of the Gotek PCB.

Buyer to pay postage and Paypal fees (or gift payment) as with complete drives.

Lovley :D

Call it two kits for now if that is ok. I will have a bash putting it together as I need to modify mine with some pin headers.

I plan to buy a couple more of these Goteks and this time around will come to you for complete units. Sometime soon I guess... will have to let you know.

gede
2nd June 2014, 18:51
I'm interested in one, PM sent :)

robinsonb5
2nd June 2014, 21:26
I'm interested in one, PM sent :)

PM replied, thanks :)

gede
2nd June 2014, 21:39
Payment sent, robinson. Thanks to you :)

robinsonb5
17th June 2014, 13:20
I now have a couple more drives available in each colour.

strashak
17th June 2014, 13:44
Declare interest. White one please.

robinsonb5
17th June 2014, 20:15
Declare interest. White one please.

Thanks - PM sent.

strashak
17th June 2014, 21:53
Payment done. PM sent. thanks.

strashak
20th June 2014, 01:25
Receive today... all set up and working fine! Thanks a lot. My A600 is so much happier now !

iRetrOVolver
27th August 2014, 00:04
Looking for two drives (grey) with the Amiga Software flashed and the Sound Hack.. will PM you.

thanius
28th March 2016, 19:16
Reviving dead thread! Would you consider selling these again? Color doesn't matter as I'm going to fit it internally.

Skickat från min Nexus 4 via Tapatalk