ARM Controller - broken pins :(

User1301

Deactivated
Deactivated
Country
S
Region
G
Hi all, I won't go into how this happened :whistle: but needless to say I have stupidly broken three of the pins off my ARM controller board for my Minimig.

Is that it stuffed now or is it possible to replace the pins?

Cheers

J

@Skillgannon

I can help m8, infact we can seriously help each other =)

@ Skilgannon

Any chance of a picture of the damage, so we can assess how fixable it is....??

Thanks guys, I'll get my SLR and tripod and take a real close up so you can see what I've done!

Here's the sorry looking ARM controller.

Attachments

• arm.jpg
    arm.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 0
piece of cake - PM has been sent m8

Maybe it's not the best solution around, but unless you can de-solder it and replace it with a new one, or have some folk do that for you, you can do a simple trick. Measure the length of the pin (eg. 5mm) not the whole thing with the square stem, but the cylindrical part of it, like the one that's missing. Take a clothspin, cut it at almost same length giving it an extra 1mm the most, insert the pointy pin into the whole of the socket where your now broken pin would go, and then attach the board at position. The slightly-longer pin will definitely make contact with the stem from which the broken pin is missing! :D
Maybe it sounds extreme, but i have done that on a P-III cpu of a friend's pc which now has the pin permanently sitting in the cpu socket's hole... Still running after years!

I agree 100% with Zetr0 - that's an easy fix (for us soldering Jedi, anyway :LOL:)

Those turned pins can be quite brittle - they get work hardened as they are machined, and this is the result.

Keith you're turning out to be a Minimig jedi :)

Hey Keith - I've packed it up and it will be in the post to you tomorrow. Really appreciate this mate :bowdown:

John

Awesome stuff john - I shall doa nice photo-log

shouldn't take long its only 3 pins =)

hmmm seems I will be having a MiniMig day this tuesday/wednesday =)

I have now in my possession a FIXED minimig! Zetr0 was awesome as always and repaired my arm controller! Total star! :bowdown:

Thanks again Keith!

J

Just thought I would post a wee pic of my "working again" minimig - thanks to Zetr0 of course :)

Note my little 3d Amiga case badges I got which make the case and keyboard look quite nice I think. I have a couple spare if anyone needs one - just let me know.

Cheers and thanks again to Zetr0!

John

Attachments

• IMG_0302.jpg
    IMG_0302.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 1
More than welcome John,

I would say any time, but I dont think you want to send me your MiniMig any time soon ;)

I like the little alcove set up you have there, reminds me of my yoof =D

Have fun my friend =D

Note my little 3d Amiga case badges I got which make the case and keyboard look quite nice I think. I have a couple spare if anyone needs one - just let me know.
Hey John,
Thanks a lot for the badges, much appreciated.
I decided to put one on my minimig and one on my A4000, been looking for an A4000 one for a long time!

I also modded an old PSOne pad for the Minimig, I mapped Up to a separate button for platform games, although it's sadly all too easy to accidentally hit the jump button and down on the dpad at the same time which brings up the Minimig menu! :p

Thanks again! (y)

Attachments

• AmigaBadges.jpg
    AmigaBadges.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 0
  • MinimigPad.jpg
    MinimigPad.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 0
Hehe - Nice one Yod - the badges look good on your machines :)

John

Back
Top Bottom