Mouse and Keyboard Conundrums A2K/A3K

Aysel

Country
England
Region
Mansfield
Hi all,

Im on a bit of a space saving mission and after searching high and low on line what I need doesnt seem to exist so before I set about trying to manufacture them I thought I would ask if it will actualy work and save some wasted time if not.

I have my A2K connected to a multisync monitor through D-Sub and my A3k connected to the same monitor through BNC so I can now switch the display between the two. I now want to share a single A2K keyboard and mouse between both machines so I can put the A3k up on a rack out of the way and then fully use either machine whilst just sat in front of the A2k.

I basicaly need a keyboard and mouse 'Y' splitter but not in the traditional sense as the ones I can find online which split such that two devices can be connected to one port where as I need basicaly the reverse, two cables coming out of the mouse and two out of the keyboard so question is.....

If I make my own keyboard and mouse Y splitters and an extension cable for each and assuming I only have one machine or the other on will the keyboard and mouse work ok, or will there be an issue that they are connected to two ports at once even though one machine would not be powered?

Hope tyhis makes sense :p

It should work (of course keep the extension cable as short as possible) since only one machine would be on at a time. There would be signal reflections but I don't think it would greatfly affect things.

Worst case, you can wire switches. Keyboard is 4 wires and if you use a Cocolino adapter on each Amiga you can use a PS/2 mouse which is also 4 wires.
Then using four 3-leg switches (or two dual 3-leg switches) for the keyboard and another four (or two dual) for the mouse you get the job done.
Middle legs would connect to the device (keyboard or mouse) signals, left/right legs would connect to A2K/A3K respective signals.
Fix the switches side by side and you could even flick them all in a single go.

Back
Top Bottom