Sold IDE controller for 8-bit ISA slot (IBM PC XT & compatibles)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lennart

AmiBayer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Country
The Netherlands
Region
Utrecht
As I’m trying to make some room and raise funds for other gear, I’ve decided to sell 2 of these IDE controllers. Although they might not seem that special, they are in fact quite hard to find and very useful for IBM PC XT machines and compatibles. Normally you wouldn’t be able to use regular IDE hard disks on such computers due to the 8-bit ISA bus, whereas IDE uses 16-bit. However, these cards contain some extra logic to link the two together.

These 2 are spare parts, as I’m currently using another one with my own IBM PC XT. I’m very pleased with it, as it gives you reliable storage and replacement hard disks are really easy and cheap to find. And with a cheap IDE-CF adapter, you should even be able to use Compact Flash cards. In my opinion, it’s a much better solution than the MFM drives you often find inside XT-class machines.

The cards appear to be unused, as they’re still nicely packaged and the connectors show no wear. I haven’t tested them, but I have no reason to assume that they’re faulty. Also included is a manual, which explains the jumper settings and how to install the card. Do keep in mind that the on-board BIOS of this card can’t handle very large hard disks, so you’ll have to reformat them to a smaller size by following the included instructions. According to the manual, the maximum size would be 152MB, which is plenty for an XT anyway. (y)

I’ve included some pictures of the cards. The unpacked card is the one I’m currently using. The ones that I’m selling (the packaged ones in the 2nd picture) do have a backplate attached.

I’m looking for €40 + shipping for each one of these cards.

Attachments

• CIMG1348.jpg
    CIMG1348.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 0
  • CIMG1349.jpg
    CIMG1349.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Interestingly, those cards will also work with the Amiga A2088 bridgeboard.

No, I'm not interested.

Is this one still up for sale?

Is this one still up for sale?

I'm wondering if you still have these cards for sale.

That's great news.

OK, maybe it's a dumb question, but I've got to ask anyhow: these cards are presumably able to boot an XT from a 32MB CF card, right?

That's right, it has an on-board BIOS which allows an XT to boot from the attached device. My own IBM PC XT boots from one of these cards with a 1GB IDE HDD attached (formatted to 152MB, as that's the maximum that the BIOS of the card supports). By using an IDE-CF adapter you should be able to make it boot from your CF-card as well.

To clarify, Botavaro has inquired via PM about the shipping costs and more or less declared interest in these two cards (but not publicly in this thread, so please do so in order to comply with Amibay rules!).

Fortunately I do have yet another one, as I purchased a couple of these when I had the chance. I was originally intending to keep that one as a spare when I started this thread, but the one I'm using has held up for several years now, so I don't mind selling another one. I'll PM you about shipping costs shortly.

What's with this sudden rush of interest in these cards? This ad has been posted nearly 3 years ago. :huh:

Anyway, the situation is becoming rather complicated by now:

• Botavaro: interested in 2 cards pending shipping costs, but hasn't declared interest publicly and hasn't responded to PM about shipping costs yet.
  • BlindGerMan: declared interest in 1 card and we have agreed on shipping costs, so basically 1 card is sold.
  • 8bit: declared interest in 1 card as well.
  • cocomocho: declared interest in 1 card as well.
Botavaro was first to declare interest for 2 cards, but he declared interest only by PM. However, due to time zone differences I think it would be fair to allow him some time to respond to my PM about the shipping costs.

I have to confess that I actually have a fourth card that I can sell, which is absolutely the last one! This card is not as neatly packed as the other three, but it also appears unused and includes the manual. I have five of these cards in total and I'm keeping one for my own IBM PC XT.

So in the current situation I have 4 people who, in one way or another, declared possible interest in 5 cards, meaning that I have one card too little. (n) Moderators, what would be the right way to handle this?

Oh, I realize now my mistake for not having declared publicly my interest on these cards. I am sorry, I did not read carefully that it's considered a silent bidding and all.

I did not mean to get anybody in trouble. Again, my apologies.

Actually, Botavaro was the first to post, asking if the items were still available. The declaration of interest could have been clearer (and indeed should have been clearer), but when someone asks "Are you still selling these?" they invariably mean they're interested in buying. The question is a bit pointless otherwise.

I'd personally consider him first in line, particularly if you've enough spares to still meet the demands of the next-in-line. I think that's fair and nobody loses out.

And remember guys, this is why we ask for clear expressions of interest in the threads. That way, everyone knows where they stand.

(y)

Thank you for the clarification, AndyLandy! :)

I'm afraid that I have to disappoint cocomocho then, as I've only 4 cards to sell. I'm very sorry for the situation. :(

As it currently stands I have received payment from BlindGerMan and I've got confirmation of the deal from 8bit with payment pending. I'll send a PM to Botavaro and work out a deal with him.

Edit:
I've now confirmed a deal with Botavaro for 2 cards and I've received payment from both Botavaro and 8bit, so all the cards are sold. The parcel for BlindGerMan is already on its way and I will ship the parcel for Botavaro tomorrow. On the request of 8bit I'll wait with sending his parcel until he is back home again.

Last edited:
Declaring Interest

Declaring Interest

I am declaring interest in the XT IDE card. I would like to buy two of them if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom