Amiga 500/2000 - Documentation of boot process wanted..

dhoelzer

Country
US
Region
NY
Greetings!

I've got something of a habit when it comes to retro (and even some modern) hardware. After getting everything up and working I usually create a set of bare bones assembly routines to take over immediately after bootstrap to see just how hard I can push the graphics and arithmetic processing on these things. Some things are pretty well documented.. With a C64 this is pretty trivial since you can just overwrite the reset vector at $fffc so that you can bypass the kernal and everything else if you choose to.. Similarly, with pretty much anything from an 8088 up to an i7 you can create a boot sector to take over at offset 0000:7c00 in real mode and you're off to the races.

I can't seem to find anything that documents the actual technical aspects of the boot process in an Amiga. Where does the Kickstart ROM load the WB to? Which sectors on the floppy are loaded there? Where does execution in the loaded code begin?

Thanks for any pointers! Sorry if this is too basic but I can't seem to locate the info I need to get started on this project. :)

Back
Top Bottom