Not open for further replies.

Megamix

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Country
UK
Region
St.Helens
I'm looking for a CD Rom Drive for my A1200 (not internal) and not one that uses the PCMCIA, even if you just have the casing as I have some older CD Rom/writers.

Just to add can anyone recommend a external case for a CDROM drive.

How are you planning to connect it if you aren't using pcmcia... ide or scsi?

I like the one I have created but it wasn't cheap. See my amibay blog.

How are you planning to connect it if you aren't using pcmcia... ide or scsi?
It may have to be connected to the PCMCIA I just wanted to avoid that, the other way I was thinking of was to get a 3way cable attach that to the case and then have to IDE on male connection to plug to the cable, but if not I will have to go the PCMCIA way.

If you go the IDE route then you may find you need an IDE adapter like Idefix99, 4Xeide99 or fastATA. I use a three way 44 pin cable for an internal CDrom and I couldn't get it to wont work without the 4Xeide'99 adapter.

Each IDE bus can have a maximum of two devices. As Arnie says if you want more than two you need some kind of splitter. If you have a SATA CD/DVD-ROM drive you could use one of those IDE to SATA adaptors as an alternative to PCMCIA.

If you go the IDE route then you may find you need an IDE adapter like Idefix99, 4Xeide99 or fastATA. I use a three way 44 pin cable for an internal CDrom and I couldn't get it to wont work without the 4Xeide'99 adapter.
I remember years ago when the 1200 first came out I had a 1x2 1/2 inch with 2x 3 1/2inch that I still have, if you remember when we all use to put 3 1/2inch hard drives in our 1200 I then used the power from the floppy to power the CD-ROM it was crude but worked.
But with the CF cards now and the slim line CD ROM`s I could just use that but don't want to have a IDE cable sticking out of the 1200 so I may have to look at a PCMCIA or hacking up a few IDE cables to make it so it can be plugged and un plugged.
I may just end up going for this http://www.vesalia.de/e_amigaslimcddrive.htm and finding a way to hide the cable...

If you are planning on running an ide cable out the side of your case then I have an external enclosure which has it's own power supply with a 52 speed cd drive. It has space for 2 5.25" drives or you could use a bay converter and put a hard drive in it too. You would need and ide cable and possibly an ide splitter too. Be asking £15 plus postage if interested.

If you are planning on running an ide cable out the side of your case then I have an external enclosure which has it's own power supply with a 52 speed cd drive. It has space for 2 5.25" drives or you could use a bay converter and put a hard drive in it too. You would need and ide cable and possibly an ide splitter too. Be asking £15 plus postage if interested.
Hi -Acid- I did see the case in the "for sale" section, but I have limited space, I did like what CrazyC had done and something I am looking at but I will see if anything turns up here.
Again thank you.

Admins can close this now I have ordered the one from Vesalia online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom