PDA

View Full Version : Wanted Spectrum +3 3" disc / disk drive

gw0udm
22nd September 2014, 00:00
Hi

I know these are quite rare these days but I'm looking for a replacement drive for a +3.

I have the machine in good nick minus the drive. I sent it off for repair years ago, and it turned out to be broken beyond repair but I forgot to get it sent back. So now I have a big hole!

The machine looks silly without it, so I'd ideally like a working drive - of course - although if anyone has a broken one I might be interested just for cosmetic value.

Or if anyone has any ideas for what to do with a +3 with no drive I'd like to hear them!

Thanks

James

CraigsBar
22nd September 2014, 01:21
Get an HxC in the hole. A lot better in this day and age to use disc images from a sd card than an increasingly hard to find 3 inch disc.
http://hxc2001.com

jboatno4
29th October 2014, 17:54
Have you tried finding an 3" drive from an Amstrad word processor or computer? Not absolutely sure but one should work as Amstrad made the +3.

CraigsBar
31st October 2014, 00:22
Have you tried finding an 3" drive from an Amstrad word processor or computer? Not absolutely sure but one should work as Amstrad made the +3.

Some of the pcw drives are 80 track double sided, and therefore will cause problems. Cpc ones will be fine I believe.

gw0udm
14th November 2014, 00:20
Yes I found one in the end. PCW drives are OK so long as you get the 40 track ones, the 8256 and 8512 used these as A drives. THey are not too hard to find, I'm not sure everyone realises that they are compatible!

James

davideo
14th November 2014, 01:05
Can we close this thread now?