Lunar Jetman Remake

Bastich

Country
United Kingdom
Region
Staffordshire
Hi all.
My Cannon Fodder remake may have fallen by the wayside for the minute but me and Invert from EAB have been making a new remake of one of my favourite ZX Spectrum games "Lunar Jetman" :) Between us (me code, Kev gfx) we have just about finished a PC 1080p remake. All that remains is to make the frontend look good (it's fully functional), a couple more in game background graphics and finalise the sounds / music.
I will post some proper screen shots later but in the mean time there are 3 small screen shots on my very empty web page (www.nebula-design.com). What I really could do with is a couple of people interested in testing the game out for me to evaluate if the difficulty is about right or too difficult. It requires a DX11 compatible graphics card to run. I have tested it on a fair number of graphics cards but more testing and card variety would be good. This is version 5 of my graphics engine (which is still in development) so hardware compatibility is not totally known ATM.

Lunar Jetman Remake features:

Parallax foreground and backgrounds
12 enemy types.
35 levels.
Fully configurable keyboard / joypad controls.
2 players (not at the same time).
Hi score table.
Hidden rover mountable gun (does not block carrying the bomb)
More features I can't remember ATM.

We have future plans to produce an original game called "Iridium" which will be based on the classic games Uridium and Starship Command. More on that later :) It may end up on Kick starter.

J

Those screens look great on your web page, I used to like playing that game but always ended up getting killed as I wasn't very good at all and kept pressing the wrong keys if I remember correctly. This project should put new life into the game and whilst playing it this time, at least the PC wont move around like the spectrum seemed to do when you get carried away trying to dodge and fire away :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Good luck with the final touches, I will leave the evaluation of the game to someone who doesn't get killed as easily as me though.

All the very best,
Allen (y)

this is very interesting ;)

By perchance did you include the speech in your Luna Jetman remake ?

Most are unaware that Lunar Jetman supports the Currah Speech unit and it "spoke" during the game.... usually to inform you that you lost a life.

I read about the original supporting speech while I was looking for info on it.
When I played it originally on my Spectrum I had no idea that it supported speech.
There is no speech in my remake but it could easily be added provided I had the samples anyway.
I've attached a few screen shots from the current build :)

Attachments

• screen_grab 0-002 y.jpg
    screen_grab 0-002 y.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 0
  • screen_grab 0-006 y.jpg
    screen_grab 0-006 y.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 1
  • screen_grab 0-007 y.jpg
    screen_grab 0-007 y.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
That looks fantastic!

Thanks Zetr0 :)

I am hoping to having it finished in at most a week. I think I have tracked down the last bug but am waiting on Kev to test the latest version (He is from Australia so there is a bit of lag on our conversations). Only the frontend to tidy up and 4-5 graphics to add now. It's currently using some classic Amiga demo tunes for music (Enigma, Cream Of The Earth, Demons Are Forever all in XM format) as I have not got anything specifically for it yet.

If there is anyone interested in providing some music (XM modules ideally but I can convert ST/PT modules) / sound effects please contact me. Same for anyone interested in testing. Any help would be greatly appreciated and will lead to your name appearing on the credits.

Last edited:
@Bastich

If you can use Octamed modules I have a fair few looking for a home / project / use

@Zetr0

That would be very generous of you (y)

I will have a look into getting a XM converter / player sorted.
MilkyTracker may load them and if so barring any format conversion will save them as XM files.
Ive also just spotted a different player routine (libxmp) which may do what is needed to play them directly.

Sweet do you have a place I can submit some modules too.... that way you can see if its worth the hassle ;)

Back
Top Bottom