Converting a 25-pin to 23-pin connector. Any advice?

KingDaveRa

Country
United Kingdom
Region
Buckinghamshire
Hi all,

Given that 23-pin female D-sub connectors are rarer than rocking horse teeth, I'm wondering if it's worth cutting down a 25-pin connector. I'd seen it alluded to previously, but I wonder if anybody here has attempted it (successfully) and if so, if there's any advice? Given I've got some 25-pin connectors spare, I thought it'd be worth a whack, at least.

Hi, worth the try! I have cutted one myself, with a cheap dremmel clone (about 12 euros the complete toolset). Worked like a charm! Just steady hand and take your time cutting. Finish with sand paper
Good luck!

Have done it as well with two connectors. Used a Dremel cutter to cut the big part and finished with a small file. Ended up with a quite good finish I think.

one store in italy have this connector, but need order 10 or plus

i have some pieces with enclosure, if you want one or plus contact me in pm

I bought a 23way (male) connector on the other bay and it turned out to be a "conversion". It was done rather well though. I can take some pictires of it for you if that helps?

Bryce.

I bought a 23way (male) connector on the other bay and it turned out to be a "conversion". It was done rather well though. I can take some pictires of it for you if that helps?

Bryce.

Oooh, yes please. That would certainly help.

Hi Dave,
I searched my "Retro room" at the weekend and couldn't find that connector. I know I still have it, so I'll do a bigger search later this week when I get a chance.

Bryce.

Thanks Bryce. Don't put yourself out looking for it!

Well I actually had a go and brutalised a connector just now with the aid of a hacksaw. It fits the Amiga, but I wasn't having much joy with the video from it (running it via a Gonbes GBS-8200) when I wired it up. I've run out of time to investigate further though, so all is not lost (yet).

Last edited:
Well I plan on doing a serious clear-out at the weekend, so if I don't find it during that, maybe I really did lose it / get rid of it.

Bryce.

OK, closure. I made some cables up. One was wired up with the wiring loom with the Gonbes board, the other is a 23-pin to 15-pin cable, which is a wee bit neater.

SGmRoSC.jpgzN5tRXw.jpgEKDu8yJ.jpg

They ain't pretty, but they do work, so that's something. :)

Back
Top Bottom