GBS 8220 Picture problem...

britlord

Country
usa
Region
Michigan
Guys I have a GBS 8220. But the picture is bloody awfull (it's yellowly , Text is crap too) and flickers a bit too. I've tried another LCD but the picture is exactly the same (I have tried to a-just the settings).. any ideas to fix it, or should I go with a old CRT that I have (But I like this LCD as it has built-in sound)...

Mike..

Update. I messed with the GBS 8220 settings, and was able to get a better picture. However in WB I was unable to go to a higher res (I don't have many res options in the perf's also) all I keep getting is this message..

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Im hoping Im not suggesting things you already know......

Is the requester showing up on boot, or after boot when you try change the resolution?

The requester comes up when there is an open program that wont allow the resolution change (such as a CLI). Ive often had this when I had, for example, a CDx dostype referenced in boot that didnt exist (meaning a program such as a CLI wasnt closed when Workbench tried to load the requested/saved resolution). Also, few resolution options would mean you dont have any monitors in your devs/monitors directory?

Your GBS ssue is something I cant help with as mine works OK, other than there are 3 small trimpots near the RGB input which I think change the input levels for each of the colours. Have you tried adjusting them to see if that helps the situation?

How are you powering it? They can be very fussy over exact power inputs. Initially the PSU I was using was supplying slightly too high a voltage and the screen had a pink tint, or too little and lines and slightly fuzzy broken text and lines would happen.

Is the requester showing up on boot, or after boot when you try change the resolution?

The requester comes up when there is an open program that wont allow the resolution change (such as a CLI). Ive often had this when I had, for example, a CDx dostype referenced in boot that didnt exist (meaning a program such as a CLI wasnt closed when Workbench tried to load the requested/saved resolution). Also, few resolution options would mean you dont have any monitors in your devs/monitors directory?

Your GBS ssue is something I cant help with as mine works OK, other than there are 3 small trimpots near the RGB input which I think change the input levels for each of the colours. Have you tried adjusting them to see if that helps the situation?

The requester showing up when I try change the resolution, after boot-up. Oh where can I get more monitors files from....

Mike....

- - - Updated - - -

How are you powering it? They can be very fussy over exact power inputs. Initially the PSU I was using was supplying slightly too high a voltage and the screen had a pink tint, or too little and lines and slightly fuzzy broken text and lines would happen.

Hi, I'm using a 5v 2amp adapter..

Last edited:

The requester showing up when I try change the resolution, after boot-up. Oh where can I get more monitors files from....

Mike....

- - - Updated - - -

Hi, I'm using a 5v 2amp adapter..

The standard monitor drivers all live in Storage/monitors until you need them. With a basic setup, you will probably find the one labelled "NTSC" as most appropriate to start... drag it from storgae/monitors to devs/monitors and reboot. Many people talk about the HighGFX driver (I think thats what it is called) which is available on Aminet (I think it..... http://aminet.net/package/driver/moni/HighGFX40_6 )...but I havent used that one myself.

As for your requester.....do you note any programs from startup reporting errors...where the errors remain open in the background? Are there any programs or requesters in the background behind your desktop still open or reporting errors? What Dosdrivers are being loaded, I only ask as that one always screwed with my standard resolutions settings when I mess with the hardware in the system. (What system is this one BTW?)

As for the power supply, I was unlucky enough (OK careless enough) to blow up one of my GBS when I plugged it into the 12V connector of my PC power supply, but thats a bit more extreme than your issue. I havent experienced any colour issues related to my power supply, but certainly would confirm the quality of the power supply used will affect the picture quality. I think there is even a thread on EAB discussing replacing caps on the GBS to better filter the power supply and produce a better quality picture. Indeed if you can measure the power on voltage on the GBS to check if the voltage is above the 5v (or even below). Many plug packs are very poorly regulated (or not at all), and many years ago when I sold them in a local electronics store, found that the cheaper ones would only approach their nominal rated voltage at close to fully load. The GBS I doubt would draw anywhere near 2amps! Check the powered on voltage of the plugpack.....

Let us know how you get on....

And just to be a smarty pants.....if its even relevant...NTSC....Never The Same Colour...sorta seems appropriate to one of your issues :D

Last edited:
Hi. I using Classic WB 3.9 on a PAL A1200 with a cobra (running at 40 MHz) 64MB of ram, and SCSI ferret board, and I even get the same problem in Winuae too (Classic WB 3.9), as for any programs from startup reporting errors. I haven't seen any or run any meself...

Last edited:
I *never* got my GBS-8220 to work properly. I was hoping to use it to display PAL things on my NTSC monitors, but PAL never worked properly for me... even NTSC barely worked. I'm not sure if I ever had proper voltage supplied to the unit either. That being said, I have one nearby if you'd like to test another unit.

I *never* got my GBS-8220 to work properly. I was hoping to use it to display PAL things on my NTSC monitors, but PAL never worked properly for me... even NTSC barely worked. I'm not sure if I ever had proper voltage supplied to the unit either. That being said, I have one nearby if you'd like to test another unit.

Have you tried these settings that I found, and it did work for me (got a better picture)... Oh if you wan t me to test yours. You'll have the send it to me..

Picture

Brightness 62
Contrast 55
Saturation 57
Sharpness 06

Geometry

H posn 45
V posn 17
H size 58
V size 56
Clamp st 90
Clamp sp 10

Last edited:
gbs and other same devices are total s*** , if you want best screen quality , then you have to buy scandoubler indivision aga mk2 with good EIZO DVI monitor !

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom