PDA

View Full Version : Booting stopped by Disk.info???

RichyV
27th November 2014, 11:36
Hi all,

anyone seen this before - it's stumped me a little...

Background: I have been busy making and formatting partitions on a different HD in readiness to copy over all of my data.
Reason? My current HD is a SATA disk and huge (360Gig) and have therefore been using a SATA-to-IDE bridge-board which was cheap. It doesn't have any electronic issues - it's been functioning fine, but physically it's not a particularly tight fit and therefore comes loose over time, meaning I have to remove the A4000 case and jiggle it until the contacts are OK again - etc....

So, I find an 80Gig (plenty!) IDE drive, figuring that this will not need to be messed around with and I can keep my case closed.

So, back to the copying...........

Last night, I completed the data-copy to all of the new partitions (I had previously checked for any >4GB issues, there were none reported).

On booting the replacement drive, all seemed OK until the drive icons started to appear on the Workbench, then it froze (mouse pointer was clock but still movable - it would not click on anything though). Tried a few times and always the same. :(

Time to think about what changes I'd made - I had slightly re-edited the User-Startup due to the change in drive-name. So, booting with no Startup-sequence, I get 'down and dirty' with the CLI.
Firstly, I just copy the whole of S. Reboot - no joy. So, I try again and make a complete copy-over of my WB partition, just in case I've edited or deleted something accidently... Still the same. :mad:

Went to bed................... :coffee:

Woke this morning and remembered that I had, just as I have done before, changed one drive's Icon to something more appropriate than the default. I booted into CLI once more, and deleted this from my newly created 'Work' partition. Rebooted and expected nothing - but, hey-presto, that worked!! :D

So what the hell did that do??? :huh: It was one of the icons that was loading-up before the computer locked, so I wasn't suspicious of it at all! There was one thing, but I couldn't believe this pointed to an issue, it was loading on the RHS of my Workbench screen instead of the left as all of my other icons were.

Anyone see where this might have gone wrong - I'm baffled (but, at the same time happy that it now works...)? :roll::roll:

Cheers!

- - - Updated - - -

And, if a mod can re-name thread to "Booting stopped...." that would be ace!!:roll::lol:

davideo
27th November 2014, 13:11
What was in the .info attached to the Icon?

RichyV
27th November 2014, 13:14
Yep, just a normal Disk.info icon (or so I thought...) didn't look at the info - would there be something that would need changing. Oh, now you've mentioned it, do you have to change the type to Drive or something.....?

Firthy2002
27th November 2014, 14:03
Sounds like the disk.info was corrupted in some way.

J.T.Kirk
27th November 2014, 14:40
Yep, just a normal Disk.info icon (or so I thought...) didn't look at the info - would there be something that would need changing. Oh, now you've mentioned it, do you have to change the type to Drive or something.....?

If it's partition's icon then yes, you have to change the type to disk.

RichyV
27th November 2014, 15:09
If it's partition's icon then yes, you have to change the type to disk.

I will check again tonight when I'm home, but I think I must've forgotten this important step - thanks! Would it really stop the whole boot process though? Or just make the drive inaccessible until the Icon information was changed? Guess I'll find out later with a little testing...

Firthy2002
27th November 2014, 17:17
I will check again tonight when I'm home, but I think I must've forgotten this important step - thanks! Would it really stop the whole boot process though? Or just make the drive inaccessible until the Icon information was changed? Guess I'll find out later with a little testing...

Yes it can cause a hang. It happened to me back in the day when I installed MagicWB and it changed our hard disk icons, something must have gone wrong and a disk.info for one of the partitions got trashed. Had to boot off a WB floppy and delete it to successfully boot off the hard disk.

RichyV
27th November 2014, 17:23
:wooha: Ah, only Amiga makes it possible!:arms:arms

:thumbsup: