PDA

View Full Version : Amiga on FPGA question

everblue
29th November 2014, 08:38
There are quite a few devices capable or running Minimig core, these are the ones I know of:

Minimig, FPGA Arcade, Chameleon 64, MIST

Excluding AGA which is only supported on FPGA Arcade and MIST, is there any of these which has better games compatibility or it is expected that the core behaves exactly the same across all devices?

alexh
29th November 2014, 09:09
Using approximately the same HDL core they will all pretty much have the same compatibility. However some boards are capable of displaying more colours. Some have easier to use interfaces (HDMI vs VGA) and some have better support packages (external interfaces such as floppy disk emulation, IDE emulation, Ethernet, USB etc)

everblue
29th November 2014, 09:11
Using approximately the same HDL core they will all pretty much have the same compatibility. However some boards are capable of displaying more colours. Some have easier to use interfaces (HDMI vs VGA) and some have better support packages (external interfaces such as floppy disk emulation, IDE emulation, Ethernet, USB etc)

You mean AGA compatibility? And yes, FPGA Arcade is the only one which has DVI which all needs is a cheap adapter for HDMI.

Marmes
29th November 2014, 15:30
This is a nice topic, I was allways wondering if this could give us the real amiga experience. And wich one you think is more recomendable, FPGA arcade or Minimig, for true amiga experience. Because, after owning all the amigas, only 3 models came to my attention. A1000, A3000D and A1200. So for colection purposes, I would keep those 3 and for real amiga experience I was wondering if those fpga are true and real replacements for real hardware, since what fpga does is copy 100% original hardware to a single chip. Can anyone with any of those fpga machines give an opinion?

everblue
29th November 2014, 15:50
I think, if you hook up a minimig to a CRT TV using the RGB/SCART, and run the same games side by side to an A500, it will be impossible to figure out which is which just by looking at the screen.

Marmes
29th November 2014, 15:57
Can minimig emulate 060? I see a 68k on board. what's the purpose of it?

alexh
29th November 2014, 16:06
Not a chance. The 060 is a very complicated beast. We wont see a clock-for-clock equivalent in this generation FPGA.

If you believe the Apollo guys then it may be possible in the future.

The FPGArcade hardware is much better than Minimig 1.1 and to a smaller extent the MiST. But FPGArcade isn't getting the same level of support that MiST is.

robinsonb5
29th November 2014, 17:57
Excluding AGA which is only supported on FPGA Arcade and MIST, is there any of these which has better games compatibility or it is expected that the core behaves exactly the same across all devices?

The key difference between the original Minimig and the ports to other FPGA devices is that the original board contains an FPGA that emulates just the chipset and still has a real 68000 CPU on board. The other ports all use a soft-68K core in the FPGA itself, which while very good, isn't *quite* as compatible with the real thing. The flipside is that the soft CPU core can emulate 68020 rather than just 68000, and can support Fast RAM. If you want the closest emulation of an Amiga 500 then the original's the better bet, but if you want something beefier and don't mind sacrificing a little compatibility, go for one of the others. If I were buying right now I'd go for the MIST.

Marmes
29th November 2014, 18:54
68030 would be nice with fpu emulation would be nice.

Marmes
29th November 2014, 22:25
I usually see videos of fpgas boards like FPGA Arcade Minimig showing 060 at 105 Mhz what kind of trick is this?

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I think if opcodes have the same functions, I don't see why they should be diferent from original. It's like AMD and INTEL :D I do understand why it's so dificult to make a 060 or a 040. But 030 might be possible with a fair price..

The key difference between the original Minimig and the ports to other FPGA devices is that the original board contains an FPGA that emulates just the chipset and still has a real 68000 CPU on board. The other ports all use a soft-68K core in the FPGA itself, which while very good, isn't *quite* as compatible with the real thing. The flipside is that the soft CPU core can emulate 68020 rather than just 68000, and can support Fast RAM. If you want the closest emulation of an Amiga 500 then the original's the better bet, but if you want something beefier and don't mind sacrificing a little compatibility, go for one of the others. If I were buying right now I'd go for the MIST.

alexh
29th November 2014, 22:25
No trick.. the 060 board for the FPGArcade can be overclocked to 100MHz

Skilgannon
30th November 2014, 09:35
I used to own a Minimig (with the ARM expansion) which I loved for the novelty value - but since I also own an actual expanded A1200 it rarely got used so was sold on (it was great though an d played everything I flung at it including being able to properly run HDF images). I do wish I'd kept that now but hey ho. I also owned a Chameleon 64 but hated it so that was moved on too. I have been looking for something similar to Minimig, but that could do more and after evaluating the various current options and looking at what is actually available and also what is being supported most, I'm going to purchase the MIST as that really ticks all the boxes for me but I won't be getting it until end of January with the expense of Christmas hitting hard just now :)