PDA

View Full Version : Georg Braun's 32MB ram board

britlord
9th December 2014, 05:22
Guys I wonder if anyone is going the take this project on (He'll have to be asked thought I think). It's Georg Braun's 32MB ram board that plugs in the GAB1000's Processer socket. Also looks like there's not many components on it (Except for the ram chips). He even has all the files for download too... I want one, as it'll go great with the Picasso-II card ....:D

hese
9th December 2014, 06:36
He even has all the files for download too...
Nope, there's no Eagle files available so the PCBs can't be manufactured. Also the jedec file is not available.

Tuxbar81
9th December 2014, 08:00
I wanted to product it with the other expansions for the GBA1000. And Georg has explained me that this board is unfortunately obsolete.
A new version has been designed but only available for private members of A1k if I've understood well.

The best solution for you is to have the 060 accelerator board.

britlord
9th December 2014, 14:13
Oh OK.

britlord
25th January 2015, 23:32
But I found out that you can't use both the 060 and Picasso-II card together, If you have the v.04 green board.....

MartinW
26th January 2015, 02:14
Where did you find that out from? There's about 30 of us building both the 060 board and the Picasso for use with the rev. 4 Including me :P

deetsay
26th January 2015, 09:43
I'm not building a Picasso, but I'm also interested in this information (second in line)!

Is there something wrong with a specific batch? There seems to be at least two different green v4 batches.

britlord
26th January 2015, 14:45
Where did you find that out from? There's about 30 of us building both the 060 board and the Picasso for use with the rev. 4 Including me :P

I found out here, and also I did a search on the 060 and the Picasso. The pics that I saw on-line is that, they being used on the older blue boards (v01) Read here as gseb said that, so better ask him about that. If that's the case then a 32MB board will be better for us (When using a Picasso board). Oh I did see a Picasso board on a green board without the 060 turbo card...

http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?66890-Project-of-GBA1000-expansions-%28PICASSO-Thylacine-68060%29-Batch-2/page8&highlight=GBA1000

deetsay
26th January 2015, 16:09
Hmmmm I'm pretty sure gseb was just kidding in that thread (the joke being that the different-colored components won't work together), and I thought you were too.

britlord
26th January 2015, 16:53
If he was joking then he sure did fool me (Where is he Grrr). Hows your board coming along though. Mines just 3 caps away from powering up.... Though double check your fast ram chips, as I found a few shorts on mine...

Tuxbar81
26th January 2015, 17:08
Hmmmm I'm pretty sure gseb was just kidding in that thread (the joke being that the different-colored components won't work together), and I thought you were too.

Congratulations Deetsay! You are the first to say something which makes sense!
I didn't say anything just to see how far would go the delirium! :lol:

Well, the 060 board is plugged into the 68030 socket. The board receives and sends data through this socket. It's transparent for the GBA1000, and so also for the board connected into any other port.

deetsay
26th January 2015, 21:45
Hows your board coming along though. Mines just 3 caps away from powering up.... Though double check your fast ram chips, as I found a few shorts on mine...

I'm going much, much slower... I only work on it for an hour every now and then. Usually because I get distracted, but also I don't think it would be fun to do it very long. Maybe my techniques are all wrong, but this careful SMD placement is really not my thing.

I've built a couple of synths (kits) from through-hole parts before, and I miss how easy it was to stick components into the board while watching TV or something, and then just going to solder it all without thinking.

But yes, checking the RAM after each chip is very important, otherwise there's no way to tell in the end which chip has a short between A0 and A1, because then they all beep.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, the 060 board is plugged into the 68030 socket. The board receives and sends data through this socket. It's transparent for the GBA1000, and so also for the board connected into any other port.

True, but I'm sure there are countless examples of hardware that are incompatible when plugged to a certain board, even if they are in different ports. Especially if it's an Amiga-related board and a 68060 processor... It's always an adventure to find out what works, what needs a software patch, or a hardware hack, or a GAL update, and what just doesn't work :).

britlord
26th January 2015, 22:44
deetsay. Your right about the SMD stuff. But using a head magnifying glasses makes the job a whole lot easier (Though after 20 placements I had to have a break before on to the next 20). You see that's how I did it. Also, all the SMD first then the through-hole parts... Now where's our 060 and the Picasso-II boards...

Oh I ment solder shorts, as without magnifying glasses they are hard to see (I had a few to remove from the fast ram chips). S**t it's hard to solder them without magnifying glasses.....Darn where's me soldering iron....

deetsay
27th January 2015, 09:45
head magnifying glasses

Great Scott! I declare interest.

gseb
30th January 2015, 10:51

Yes, I was joking !!!!!!!!!!
There is absolutely no incompatibility between the 060 and PII cards from Georg... In fact, if you want to use the PII card from Georg, you have to use it with the 060 card. It won't work without it due to not having enough memory if I understood well.
For those who do not have a 060 card, there is the PII made by Matze.... This will work with the onboard gba1000 8MB memory...

britlord
30th January 2015, 23:06

There is absolutely no incompatibility between the 060 and PII cards from Georg... In fact, if you want to use the PII card from Georg, you have to use it with the 060 card. It won't work without it due to not having enough memory if I understood well.
For those who do not have a 060 card, there is the PII made by Matze.... This will work with the onboard gba1000 8MB memory...

Where do you get the PII made by Matze

Tuxbar81
31st January 2015, 11:45

Where do you get the PII made by Matze

I have made a batch of Matze Picasso PCBs here:
http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?66998-Picasso-Graphic-PCB-for-A500-A2000-A4000-GBA1000-1st-Batch&highlight=gba1000

A little PCB adapter is needed, but I didn't planne to produce it. The best way is really to make the GBA1000 version of the Picasso and also the 060 accelerator board.