PDA

View Full Version : Auto DF0/DF1 switch?

DonutKing
16th December 2014, 11:06
This is just a thought I had today.
Floppy emulators like the gotek or HxC are quite popular now, but for various reasons people may want to leave the original floppy drive inside their amiga, and use the gotek externally.

I see that swapping DF0 and DF1 can be done by lifting a couple of pins off one of the CIA chips and hooking up to a switch.

I was thinking this idea could be expanded further. there are kickstart switchers that work by holding ctrl+amiga+amiga for a certain length of time, to swap kickstart ROMs. I had a memory expansion that allocated different amounts of memory based on whether the left or right mouse button was held down at power on (it hooked into JP8 on the A500 board).
Could something like this be adapted the the DF0/DF1 switch?

This way you could keep the original floppy drive installed, you could buy one of those KMTech adapters and install your floppy emulator externally, and you wouldn't need a physical switch to swap between them.

I had a look around but couldn't find any schematics or projects for these auto switchers so I'm not sure how they work.

How difficult would something like this be to achieve?

Ed.D
16th December 2014, 12:06
I wonder if you could leave out the hardware bit and do it with assign commands e.g. ASSIGN DF1: DF0: ...or something like that?

-Acid-
16th December 2014, 14:40
I wonder if you could leave out the hardware bit and do it with assign commands e.g. ASSIGN DF1: DF0: ...or something like that?
Would be no use for non dos games though just workbench stuff which it doesn't matter about device names there anyway as it uses the volume names.