PDA

View Full Version : Commodore 64c with label intact

cugar124
18th December 2014, 19:23
Hi Guys
I have a 64C its working perfectly just wondering do I loose much by breaking the intact seal on the bottom worth wise?

AL

ulkealan
18th December 2014, 20:20
In my opinion, yes you do. If you don't have to, don't ever break the seal.....

roy_bates
18th December 2014, 21:12
a collector would say yes...if its still in its packaging as new.but then again collectors dont seem to mind that it may not be working.
as its just for show.and pay a massive premium for untested equipment...in an unopened factory sealed state

i wouldn't say, it was worth less if the seal was broken and working and not as new without the original packaging and unopened(which yours wont be as youve turned it on).in this case it wouldn't make any difference.
most sensible people are only interested in if its working or not and if its yellowed.some dont even care if its yellowed or not.

its horses to courses...

personally i dont give a damn if the seal is broken as long as it works(its only a warranty seal thats long past gone),sometimes i dont care if it dont work lol.as long as its reasonable price,i personally dont think these machines are worth all that much...
i never understood the hyper sensitive people who think the seal has anything to do with its working condition and put a premium price on top for it being there.
maybe they think it means something?...who knows,lol
or maybe some think having the seal there somehow proves the machine was never serviced never repaired never tampered with,either way thats also a two way street.

but anyway,i am wondering why you want to break the seal if it works fine?

AndyLandy
19th December 2014, 08:31
Basically, Roy is on the money.

If it's in immaculate condition, with the original box and accessories, and it's in good working order, having an intact warranty seal might make it more desirable.

On the other hand, if it's less than perfect, the intactness of the warranty seal is probably going to be the least concern, and if the machine isn't working, it's probably far better to split the seal and fix the machine.

Also, don't forget that reels of the original warranty stickers often ended up on eBay, so unless you know the provenance of the machine, you can't be 100% sure it's not been opened.

Personally, I don't care about warranty seals, I'm far more interested in going inside the machines and fixing them up. Still, I wouldn't go and split the seal unless there was some good reason to do so.

cugar124
19th December 2014, 15:56
Cheers guys its in good condition and the polys are near perfect the outer cardboard has seen better days but is still complete. the Machine works 100% which amazed me got a handful of games plus an original tape drive given to me which with a wipe and the heads wiped clean read the tapes perfect so nice set to keep I think.
I never had one of these back then I had the old breadbin one only games I every really played where boulder dash and pirates. Did get a disk drive but poor old C64 got given away because my nice new A500 turned up on my first bonus and it just could not complete with the 500 for my time. Sort of wish I had not got rid of her mind the 1541 had been chipped plus the guy I bought the drive off had given me two big boxes of disks which I didnt really even go through Dooooohhhh. The things we do when we are young LOL.

I will post some pictures in the next few days.

al

Paradroid90
19th December 2014, 16:31
Hi, If you are looking to keep the 64, please let me know and I will try to give you as much advice as I can, in regards to my addiction :-)

SaviorX
19th December 2014, 18:10
+1 to Roy & Andy

as a collector as well, its a bit like worrying if a comic books pages are torn, when the cover is already missing (ie: not with original packaging & documentation)

cugar124
23rd December 2014, 11:17
Yeah I am keeping her for now got a load of games so looking at maybe adding one of those sd card readers not really looking much into the 64 side of things for a long long time.