PDA

View Full Version : Closed WTB: A500 KS ROM switcher

tiffers
10th August 2008, 16:12
Hi all,

Looking for a kickstart ROM switcher for my A500. I have a 1.3 chip, but looking to add 2.x or 3.x functionality, so the switcher and 2.x or 3.x ROM would be a bonus. I guess 3.x is preferred.

I live in Australia, so would prefer to buy from Australia (due to postage). Will consider from overseas if the cost is cheap enough.

Failing that... the parts to make my own, would be a lot of fun. :D I just don't have the time to run around finding them. Perth is kind of backwards when it comes to getting bits like that for a single board.

cheers,

tiffers

davideo
10th August 2008, 17:37
@Tiffers

If you don't get sorted out in your own country :(

I've got a switched Rom switcher with a 2.04 Rom in it at the moment and the other Rom space is empty. Was working perfectly the other night when I tried it.

P&P shouldn't be that much I wouldn't have thought because there's no weight to it :D

If you're interested let me know.

Dave G 8)

tiffers
11th August 2008, 10:25
Hi Dave,

I may be interested, if you can give me an idea how much you want for the switcher + ROM + shipping.

Cheers,

tiffers

davideo
11th August 2008, 19:48
Tiffers

You have PM

Dave G 8)

AmigaManiac
13th August 2008, 16:48
I have just designed a ROM switcher, for any two ROMS. It fits nicely inside the A500. I expect the PCB's to arrive in a few days. I will be selling them for AUD$20 each. It is compatible with any MB revision of A500, maybe also 600, 2000 or 2500. It has a jumper, so there is no trace to cut or pins to bridge ;-) I have had 50 PCB's manufactured, so there is plenty to go around :-) Let me know if you still need one.

Nathan

Hi all,

Looking for a kickstart ROM switcher for my A500. I have a 1.3 chip, but looking to add 2.x or 3.x functionality, so the switcher and 2.x or 3.x ROM would be a bonus. I guess 3.x is preferred.

I live in Australia, so would prefer to buy from Australia (due to postage). Will consider from overseas if the cost is cheap enough.

Failing that... the parts to make my own, would be a lot of fun. :D I just don't have the time to run around finding them. Perth is kind of backwards when it comes to getting bits like that for a single board.

cheers,

tiffers

tiffers
14th August 2008, 01:45
I have just designed a ROM switcher, for any two ROMS.

Sweet! (Prototype) Photos / PCB images (ie from the PCB layout program)? Schematics? I'm looking at doing one too, for the education factor.

tiffers

AmigaManiac
14th August 2008, 05:53
The ROM switchers will be sold as complete and assembled by my own hands :-D Sans ROMS of cours :P Although, I have access to 2 new KS 1.3 ROMS...my supplier/contact just has to find them in his vast rats nest of gear :-S

I need to recoup my costs for the PCB manufacture, plus I would like to make a *small* profit per unit for my efforts & labour etc. They are my own design, and copyrighted. So my PCB's are protected under Australian law, and probably most other reasonable/civilised countries law too :-)

I don't mean to be mean or anything, I'm sure you understand? :oops:

However, I'm a reasonable & friendly person, so you're more than welcome to discuss pretty much anything with me, as long as you're nice :wink: :D

tiffers
14th August 2008, 08:18
@ultrareliable

I will definitely get one of your boards then.

@Dave

Thanks for the offer. Due to currency conversions, Ultrareliable's offer works out better for me.

Cheers,

tiffers

davideo
14th August 2008, 10:00
@tiffers

No problems - good luck with your purchase.

Dave G 8)

AmigaManiac
15th August 2008, 18:40
@all

JOY! I received my little PCB's today! I was shocked at how well made they are! Let me tell you a little about the PCB itself:

*Dimensions: 42x69mm
*Layers - 2 (both active)
*Green soldermask (both sides) - I went for the classic colour :)
*White silkscreen on the top layer - again traditional colour
*And finally, no el-cheap HASL (hot air level solder) on the exposed copper (where you solder), but ENIG (electroless nickel/immersion gold - nickel finished in gold plate!)
*Copper weight - 70um (most people go 35um, as it's cheaper)

As you can see, I didn't skimp, and have over-engineered it 8)

Compatibale with all MB revisions of A500. It also works with A600 (tested). Should also work with A2000/A2500 too. ROMS accross these 4 models are pin-compatible :wink:

It fits inside the case of the A500 etc, resting on little nylon legs - so it won't short anything. The photo shows where to put it on the MB to fit inside the shield. The cable off the switch is long enough to put out the trapdoor, or the side expander slot etc. Or you can drill a 5mm hole on your case wherever you like (the neatest solution) That's what I did on my A500...

Sorry about the poor quality of the pic, it's taken with a flash. Also, I won't be able to take any more pictures until tomorrow - the batteries are charging. I'm gonna take a picture showing the 49 blank PCB's, to prove that I am not B.S. or something :wink:

Anyhow, the first one I made for myself - so there are 49 left :wink: If you want it in kit form, to solder yourself, it will still be AUD$20. Having just made one, I can say this - you need more than novice soldering skills, a fine tip soldering iron, and LOTS of patience. If you would like to assemble it yourself, I don't want you hating me :oops: The holes where the wires go in are only 0.5mm wide, probably a little less after the plating (they are all vias/plated-through holes). If I sell all 50, I will make the next PCB's more user friendly :-S Also, if you want it in kit form, and you want me to, I will strip and solder/tin all 80 wires for you on the IDC cable, as if you get one of them wrong, it won't fit through the holes on the PCB, due to the tight tolerance. This is the most tedious part of contruction - seperating, stripping, then tin 80 wires! Also, there are 168 points in total to solder!

Ok, who wants one? :mrgreen:

Nathan

P.S. I don't take pre-payments of any kind, I just don't believe in it. First you let me know that you definitely want one, then I make one, send you a photo of the completed unit (or kit, if you are a masochist), with a total (KS ROM switcher + postage/shipping). Once you pay, I'll post the little devil a.s.a.p. If you're lucky, I'll post it on the same day, if not, the next day :wink: Oh, and you can pay with PayPal in AUD$, or if you live in Australia too, you have the option of bank transfer (free for both of us ) :D

ED: I have removed the photo of the ROM switcher I made for myself, as it's not relevant. No one with get a ROM switcher with a birds nest of wires like that :-S They will all be made nice and neat, like the one here http://amibay.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=832&p=5865#p5865

tiffers
16th August 2008, 07:29
@all
JOY! I received my little PCB's today! I was shocked at how well made they are!

Wheeeeee!

holes). If I sell all 50, I will make the next PCB's more user friendly :-S Also, if you want it in kit form, and you want me to, I will strip and solder/tin all 80 wires for you on the IDC cable, as if you get one of them wrong, it won't fit through the holes on the PCB, due to the tight tolerance. This is the most tedious part of contruction - seperating, stripping, then tin 80 wires! Also, there are 168 points in total to solder!

Why are there 80 wires?

Ok, who wants one? :mrgreen:

I've already said I want one, but I'll say it agin. Me please! :D

tiffers

AmigaManiac
16th August 2008, 07:58
@tiffers

Doh! :oops: You're right, that is a small mistake. There are 40 wires, but since I have to stip both ends, that makes 80 strippings. It is not essential to tin the ends that go into the PCB, but it makes it easier to push them in. As if a stray strand doesn't go in, it could make a short. The wire is already tin coated to prevent corrosion, so it is not 100% essential to do so. It's IDC cable. I tin the ends that go into the empty ROM socket, so that they are stiff and I can push them into the receptacles on said socket - makes it easier to solder :-)

I will be making one for you within hours ;-) I'll then PM you a photo of the finished product :-) Unless you want it in kit form with instructions? It is the same price though, and probably a couple hours of work. Also, after I have assembled them, I test them in my A500, so it is guaranteed to arrive in good working order ;-)

I just bought a new soldering iron today. It wasn't too easy to make the first one for myself, as the tip is not fine enough :-S

@all

I will be posting an ad in the hardware section for Amiga later. That will contain all pricing, pics etc. I'll then place a link to it here ;-)

AmigaManiac
16th August 2008, 08:38
@all

Here is a link to a similar thread: http://amibay.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=808&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=15

That thread has photos of my handsome little PCB's, some close-up :wink:

Thanks,

Nathan

tiffers
16th August 2008, 09:11
Why are there 80 wires?

Let me answer my own question.... 40 wires, but as the cable has 2 ends... there's 80 to be done.

Are you soldering wires into another 'socket' to act as the plug? I've had a hard time finding the DIP socket conector <-> IDC cable part.

(I wrote this but never submitted it.. D'oh! :oops: )

I went looking. I found them :) Now to get one...

http://au.farnell.com/1106724/connector ... 7-040-9622 (http://au.farnell.com/1106724/connectors/product.us0?sku=harting-0917-040-9622)

$10.20 each :shock:

tiffers

AmigaManiac
16th August 2008, 16:59
@tiffers

I have finished making your ROM switcher for you ;-) What a flamin' job!

Nathan

AmigaManiac
17th August 2008, 07:38
@tiffers & all...

Ignore that photo of the assembled unit. I will be giving that one to someone else. The one I am about to make for you now (and all future ones I make), will have the IDC cable un-split and nice and flat ;-) I think it looks nicer (even though it will be inside the case and not really seen :-S) I have taken the time to work out the cable lengths required for both the A500 and A600, and how to bend it, to position the ROM switcher on the MB (A500 & A600) where the shield is highest. With the A600, I don't have a top-shield, so I'm not sure if the nylon feet will have to come off, and some cardboard stuck on the bottom or something, to make it fit.

Maybe if Harrison buys one for his A600, he can let me know :mrgreen: . Otherwise, I'll try and find a top-shield for my A600 MB, so I can check ;-)

I'll post a photo of a revised unit tomorrow, as by the time I am finished making the new one it will be dark. I need sunlight to take good quality close-ups :-)

Thankya,

Nathan

ED: New version looks like this http://amibay.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=832&p=5865#p5865