Setting up SCSI-III on CSPPC

TheRogue

Hey Hey! Ho Ho! 100110!
AmiBayer
Country
Canada
Region
Vancouver, British Columbia
Hi there guys. I've got my CyberStormPPC installed in my new MicroniK tower, and I'm trying to set up the scsi controller to work with a 72GB drive I have. TBH the included docs are not entirely helpful. Does anyone know the best way to go about doing this? I have installed Version 3.1 of the CyberSCSI tools, and now I'm trying to set the drive up. I'm working from OS 3.1/KS 3.1. I got as far as patching the FFS for TD64, and got the card to recognize the drive. Now my question is, how do I format it properly? I tried with the desktop format util, but any files I copied to the drive didn't work right. After trying a few more times, now my machine won't boot up anymore. Maybe it's trying to boot from the SCSI drive but there's nothing on it? Help!

OK, you need the boot partition under 2GB. The rest partitions can be set up in whatever sizes you like... My guess is that your boot partition is bigger than 2GB, this is an amiga limitation and there is no work-around for that.

But I have a 4GB hard disk as my boot disk on my A2000. Is that some sort of miracle? It's connected to my GVP Series II accelerator. I trust you, I am just curious how that happened...

Isn't there something about the mask (or something named like that?) that has to be set properly for it to detect and format properly? it's something that is in hex code, something like 0xfffffff0. Sorry I don't know the term. I use the mode that is set by the format tool.

@TheRogue

yes, I am pretty sure that at some point in the future your 4GB boot partition in your A2000 will become corrupted/unusable... When I had my csppc scsi setup, I had a 36GB HDD : 2GB boot (more than enough really) and the remaining space divided into 2 partitions, work1 and work2
May I ask why you use OS3.1? why not migrate to 3.9 ? Just use SFS as a filesysystem and you are set... 3.9 is a very nice OS for power amigas :)

I strongly recommend a lesser sized partition. 200Mb is more than enough for the system will all bells & whistles.

Remember that if you de-validate the partition will take forever to validate it again. Less is more.

Back
Top Bottom