PDA

View Full Version : Question about Gotek floppy drive

dougal
30th December 2014, 19:35
I just ordered a Gotek from Amibay.

I intend to use it inside an A500 but I will NOT be doing any case mods. I don't have the heart to destroy an Amiga case.

So I am guessing my best option is to keep it "external" but hooked up instead of the internal drive. That would mean I would need:

A: A longer FDD data cable
B: A longer power cable

Question... Can I order ANY disk drive cable from the other bay which is longer than the original A500 one ?

Another question... Is there no possibility to use the Gotek inside an external disk drive and use it somehow as a DF0 ?

supaduper
30th December 2014, 19:44
Answers to A & B is yes

no external option to use it as DF0: I`m afraid

there is a guy selling a board mod where no cutting of the A500 is made on the bay but you you will have to take the board out of the Gotek and marry it to his board so a little bit of work required

dougal
30th December 2014, 20:40
Well, yeah I saw that mod but looks too much hassle to be honest.

I'll just go for the "external" option using it instead of the DF0

I've got some old PC's in my garage so i'm sure i'll find some cables :)

Answers to A & B is yes

no external option to use it as DF0: I`m afraid

there is a guy selling a board mod where no cutting of the A500 is made on the bay but you you will have to take the board out of the Gotek and marry it to his board so a little bit of work required

Murugan
1st January 2015, 09:50
I have put the Gotek in my 500 without any cutting to the case. I probably could have done it better but it fits and works

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met behulp van Tapatalk

dougal
1st January 2015, 10:07
Have you got a photo ?

I have put the Gotek in my 500 without any cutting to the case. I probably could have done it better but it fits and works

Murugan
1st January 2015, 10:13
Will make one and post it later. Need to go visit the family :) Note that the only downside so far is that I have to use a pen to push the selector buttons. I don't want to cut in my case too so I'm fine with that method.
I just need to find out if a mini USB stick will fit without some case trimming. A normal one is no problem but doesn't look nice.

piacc64
1st January 2015, 10:31
you can use gotek in external drive, you need add a selector under the CIA with double switch for exchange 4 signal

like this http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?64806-Boot-selector-for-A500

Solo761
2nd January 2015, 13:30
It fits more or less without problems in A500. Here's how I installed mine

http://i.imgur.com/315kW46.jpg

Only thing I had to do is drill holes in gotek's case cca 1cm closer to the front side of gotek so I could install it a bit more to the back. If you use original holes you can't close A500 case. First solution would be to cut top side of gotek's case because it's too high to close the case. And second was to drill holes. A500 case is not drilled or cut in any way.

Only downside is that ADF counter is not exactly easily visible and you need some kind of stick to press ADF change buttons. That's why I made small IR receiver board so I can switch ADFs with small remote :).

Murugan
2nd January 2015, 16:03
Mine looks exactly the same except I used the 2 brackets from the floppy drive to put the Gotek on.
I didn't use any screws because it seems to have enough support from the IDE cable in the back and the 'sandwich' between the brackets and the case.

Wachi
2nd January 2015, 17:45
It may interest you buy a cover like me, you can always return to the original ....;)

AMIGA 500 Original case Top ideal replacement very slight yellowing:
http://www.ebay.es/itm/AMIGA-500-Original-case-Top-ideal-replacement-very-slight-yellowing-/121524306310?pt=UK_VintageComputing_RL&hash=item1c4b69c186