Staff Moderator
Blogger
Rating - 100%
254   0   0
Country
England
Region
Merseyside
ok I got these given to me in parts as none working etc.

what I have done.

(BOTH pass a ram test, not sure how good it is but it says passed)

Amiga 500+ 1mb ,

I removed a very sad looking battery, stripped and washed the mobo.
repaired 2 broken tracks from U12, replaced the keyboard, replaced the missing expansion port covers and repaired a floppy drive that was given to me broken.

Now the A500+ boots no issues, runs all games and works great, but there might still be an issue, it can randomly guru on certain games (I only had a handfull on floppy so it could be the games at fault)
the guru is usually #8000 0003, etc suggesting a flaky U12 chip but could be any number of faults. I don't have enough games to try for certain.

what I can say is FA-18 Interceptor , workbench and stuntcar racer all work great, I left FA-18 Interceptor on demo loop for an hour no issues. but skidmarks would guru either loading or during gameplay.

Amiga 500 1.3 512k + 512k
no floppy , no upper or lower shield.

I used the Floppy from A500+ above, got a cpu and a 512k ram upgrade (all the games I had required 1mb ram)
1st attempt after fitting the new cpu , fitting a floppy , replacing the membrane and installing the 512k trapdoor ram it booted to a 1.3 kick screen. yey!!

loaded workbench and all seemed ok. I was chuffed a 1mb 1.3 A500. but!!!!! it has a fault , one of the chips is certainly broken no idea which one.

here is the fault with FA-18 Interceptor as an example.

correct boot of FA-18 Interceptor
load f18 interceptor,
workbench loads
open icon and load game
music starts and loading picture.
menu appears "welcome to continuing tour of duty" etc.
in game i pic "demo"
game loads and you appear on aircraft carrier (engine noise),
then 1 sec later the hud appears (speed, altitude etc)and you take off and the game demos itself.

now the above A500 1.3
same as above but..........

game loads as above and you appear on the aircraft carrier (engine noise),
now just as the HUD is supposed to appear(the numbers that indicate airspeed, altitude etc) the game pauses (not freeze) and sits there as if the amiga is waiting for something with the engine noise still playing.

if you press "esc" the demo loads again. if you press "shift+esc" you go back to the main menu. so the amiga has not crashed or frozen it's waiting for a chip to do something, its a very strange fault. if you pick and start a mission you get the map screen and as your about to pick your aircraft or starting point the game stops again, but pressing shift & esc gets you back to the menu again.

anyway.

Both are yours for what parts they have cost me

£30 + P&P or swap for a working A600 2mb(no PSU or mouse required), sold as NONE working for parts for both in an A500 box (no poly's)

so you're buying all the bits i bought to complete the Amiga's,(the Amiga's I was given for free I'm just passing on for free)
a good 512k trapdoor ram, a good floppy drive, good roms, good keyboards and good cpu's the rest is a gamble.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom