PDA

View Full Version : Question about Picasso II & A4000D

dougal
11th January 2015, 18:11
I bought from a user on Amibay a Picasso II (waiting for it to arrive) for my A4000 D.

Since it is being used in an A4000 instead of an A2000 will it still be affected by the Zorro II address space problem of the ram ?

Also it has the R302 removed which apparently helps it to work better on more modern monitors.. What exactly does this mean ?

RichyV
11th January 2015, 18:31
Hi,

no, segmented memory mode was necessary to run this board in an A2000 only, higher models will not necessitate this as they can address more memory on the Zorro bus.

The resistor you've mentioned is removed due to it being there to comply with the old Vesa standard. Some newer monitors ground this PIN (think it's 9) and it can potentially fry, so it should not be attached for safety reasons.

dougal
11th January 2015, 18:42
The resistor you've mentioned is removed due to it being there to comply with the old Vesa standard. Some newer monitors ground this PIN (think it's 9) and it can potentially fry, so it should not be attached for safety reasons.

So its best as it is with the resistor removed right ? All my PC/VGA monitors, even the CRT's are relatively modern. The CRT's are all 17 inch +.

SkydivinGirl
11th January 2015, 18:43
Yes, definitely keep the resistor removed. :)

Heather

RichyV
11th January 2015, 18:45
Yes, it's certainly best to start with it removed and only replace it if using with an older monitor that needs the 12V on Pin 9 (remembering then to never use it on a different monitor unless it is equally as old). This is the safest option... :)

dougal
11th January 2015, 18:48
Great! Thanks guys for the help.

I cant wait for the Picasso II to arrive. I think my A4000 with the A3640 and a Picasso II should be quite a decent RTG Amiga (I Hope). Not quite my old power Amiga which was an A4000T with a Cyberstorm 060 and a Picasso IV but i'm sure it will still pack enough decent power.