PDA

View Full Version : Adding 4th RAM stick in PC causing it not to boot

dougal
13th January 2015, 16:22
My PC was previously working fine with 4 x1GB DDR2 sticks but yesterday it wouldn't start up.

I switch it on and the fans of the GPU go into full speed, CPU fan starts but nothing on screen and GPU fans remain full speed.

After removing the 4th RAM stick it worked fine. I tried 3 or 4 different RAMS but it keeps doing the problem.

Any idea what I can do ?

The PC has an Asus motherboard and is pretty old and only takes DDR2. (Core2 Quad 2.4Ghz)

zinamo
13th January 2015, 16:31
Hello,
have you tried placing the ram sticks differently? I mean if you populate the fourth socket and leave the third empty, will the machine boot?
First thing to do is check that there is no dust in the socket preventing contact, then be absolutely sure that all the ram sticks are working.. You can do a memtest86+ with 3 ram just to see if the system is stable and there are no errors.. eventually you can try clearing cmos parameters (unplug the machine and remove the bios battery form some time)

dougal
20th January 2015, 21:06
Hi, yes what I tried was:

Remove 3 but for some reason it doesn't physically fit in 4 ... No idea why. So i put it back
Remove 2 and put in 4 but computer only showed up as 2GB ram

Next i tried 4 different rams in number 4 but none of them worked. Some the computer will boot but only show up as 3GB and one or two of the it did not boot at all.

I guess the problem is the motherboard or the actual slot ?

Hello,
have you tried placing the ram sticks differently? I mean if you populate the fourth socket and leave the third empty, will the machine boot?
First thing to do is check that there is no dust in the socket preventing contact, then be absolutely sure that all the ram sticks are working.. You can do a memtest86+ with 3 ram just to see if the system is stable and there are no errors.. eventually you can try clearing cmos parameters (unplug the machine and remove the bios battery form some time)

Bryce
20th January 2015, 21:12
Have you tried giving the RAM sockets a decent scrub with contact cleaner (real contact cleaner, not WD40!!) and a toothbrush and the same for the RAM sticks? Dirt is usually what causes these problems.

Bryce.

dougal
20th January 2015, 21:18
No as I was afraid of damaging the socket. I guess I could give it a go, nothing to lose. The PC is oldish anyway.

Note... The problems started after a power surge. I've no surge protection and during a thunderstorm the circuit breaker (of my house) tripped. When I switched on the computer it would not boot up, no beeps nothing. I removed RAM number 4 and it booted. I guessed the ram stick died so I put another one from my spares and it worked fine with all 4GB for a couple of days, but then started giving me random blue screens. I removed the 4th RAM once again and it worked perfectly (with 3GB) but whenever I tried inserting RAM into the slot it would either not recognise it and boot with 3GB or else not boot at all.

Have you tried giving the RAM sockets a decent scrub with contact cleaner (real contact cleaner, not WD40!!) and a toothbrush and the same for the RAM sticks? Dirt is usually what causes these problems.

Bryce.

Bryce
20th January 2015, 21:22
Ah, that little detail changes everything. Then you may have damaged something on the DDR channel, probably in the Northbridge.

Bryce.

dougal
20th January 2015, 21:27
Possibly time to dump the old 775, Q6600 and DDR2 ram and replace it with something a little newer like an i5 or something I guess. Though I may wait as even with 3GB it still fits my needs perfectly. I only use it for browsing, emulation and light gaming.