PDA

View Full Version : ACA with barebone A1200

Borgy
16th January 2015, 14:48
Maybe a dumb question but how do I get my 68030 ACA to work with my barebone A1200 without using workbench? The machine has no HDD. If I boot from workbench the card libs clearly load and I'm able to get the card's speed boost for any game that can start from Workbench.

However, what about games that cannot boot from workbench (AB3D for example)? Is there a way of 'installing' the card to be available before booting? The card isnt showing in startup control as a recognised expansion board.

Borgy

demolition
16th January 2015, 15:00
If the card is installed and not disabled, it is working. You do not need to do anything. There are no libs that needs to be loaded like there is for an 040 or 060.
You do need KS3.1 though to get all memory available automatically.

ColourWheel64
16th January 2015, 15:27
Vesalia have Kickstart 3.1 roms in stock

Vesalia web store (http://www.vesalia.de/e_kickstart[151].htm)

portarinos
16th January 2015, 16:10
I wonder what you can do with an ACA equipped A1200 that has no hard disk! Except from the challenge / "proof of concept" factor it really escapes me! Especially nowadays that hard disks/cf's are cheap as chips, but on the other hand it's a matter of personal choice :)

dimfil
16th January 2015, 16:55
Do yourself a favor and buy an IDE CF adapter and a 4Gb CF card...
You will be surprised about what WHDLoad can do!

demolition
16th January 2015, 17:05
I wonder what you can do with an ACA equipped A1200 that has no hard disk! Except from the challenge / "proof of concept" factor it really escapes me!

Yes, there isn't much software which was made to run from floppy which will benefit from an accelerator. Most games which are hardware-banging will run at the same speed since they are locked to the vsync and the speed of the custom chips which do not get any faster.

AB3D is also HD-installable using WHDload.

roy_bates
16th January 2015, 17:28
alot of whdload games benefit from preload