PDA

View Full Version : picasso iv native

mord
19th January 2015, 22:52
hi,just installed my Picasso iv(ty blinkybill) but I cant seem to get native modes working.
the rtg modes are great but when I run a game the vga goes black but I do get output on the amiga rgb port.
same as at boot when I hold shift to get menu it displays via the amiga rgb and not the vga port.
I hope its software as I heard it could be the socketed chip need to be pulled and cleaned but at the risk of the socket breaking?

FastRobPlus
20th January 2015, 00:05
If you have PicassoMode TNG you can test the PAL/NTSC screen modes that the card will invoke when the change is made to make sure they are within the scanrange of your monitor. It's a bit of an obtuse UI.

Also - you can download and update the flicker fixer's firmware to version 07, which might help.

You can also repeatedly tap the left shift key during a boot to access the Picasso's configuration menu, and from there you can reset the flickerfixer's scanrates to the default vales. (Obviously for this to work you need to also have an RGB monitor connected to see that screen)

If all those fail, you might have an unseated chip/contact issue. I recently was pulling my hair out with a card that worked great except for flickerfixed modes, and cleaning the card's contacts turned out to be the fix.

mord
20th January 2015, 00:17
"You can also repeatedly tap the left shift key during a boot to access the Picasso's configuration menu, and from there you can reset the flickerfixer's scanrates to the default vales. (Obviously for this to work you need to also have an RGB monitor connected to see that screen)"

I can only see this screen via amiga rgb port and not vga, so that mean chip need reseating?

FastRobPlus
20th January 2015, 02:50
From where you are you can do two things. You can reset the default scan rates for PAL and NTaSC and you can check the flickerfixer firmware. To check the firmware, click exactly ONE pixel below the lower right edge of the box containing all the menu options. I have no idea why this menu is hidden like this...

Were you able to see PAL modes when testing with picassomodeTNG?

(Phone, forgive typos...)

mord
20th January 2015, 03:05
I noticed in this utube video he has a p4_flickerfixer driver in devs:monitor, maybe this why??
also have not tried picassomodeTNG will try tnite

mord
20th January 2015, 09:00
tried picassomodeTNG and...SUCCESS!!! musta been programed too high hz for monitor

so now I guess I gota set all resolutions??

JLPedro
20th January 2015, 10:02
Also - you can download and update the flicker fixer's firmware to version 07, which might help.

I tought it was only possible to upgrade the P IV Scandoubler/Flickerfixer chip by replacing the chip itself from Mastatabs, I'm I wrong?

FastRobPlus
20th January 2015, 19:38
tried picassomodeTNG and...SUCCESS!!! musta been programed too high hz for monitor

so now I guess I gota set all resolutions??

Yeah - I wish there was a visual tutorial somewhere. I always blindly stumble when I have to adjust resolutions. It should be possible to set PAL/NTSC to refresh rates that your monitor likes and write them to the flash ROM on the card. You will know when you are doing it because it takes a few seconds to update the card and then when you quit picassomodeTNG you are prompted to restart.

You can confirm that the new modes have been written to the card by tapping left space on boot and checking the settings on the Picasso early startup menu.
If the modes work in picassomodeTNG but still do not work in games or the early startup screen, etc, then this does mean the card likely is dirty or making a poor contact.

and

- - - Updated - - -

I tought it was only possible to upgrade the P IV Scandoubler/Flickerfixer chip by replacing the chip itself from Mastatabs, I'm I wrong?

You can upgrade the flickerfixer firmware (for some reason they call it the "FliFi") to version 07 using the updater floating around on the web. I'm told this resolves a multitude of issues, but I don't remember what ones exactly...

There is another firmware for the PCI to Zorro III bridge which cannot be updated via a software patch. This update is strongly recommended if you are running any ZIII cards on the system bus (or think you ever will).

I got the chip recently from mastatabs over on eab and popped it in. Like the flickerfixer update, I'm not totally sure what it does but I run a Deneb and an Xsurf 100 both in ZIII mode in addition to the Picasso IV, so I thought it was a sound investment.