Blogger
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Bristol
Hi Everyone,

I have a milling machine and small lathe. I would like to offer a basic machining service to the Amibay community for manufacturing small items. If you need some small parts for a project and can provide an accurate working drawing, or need to replace a broken part I may be able to help.

I am looking to make some money from this. Paypal without the gift option would be my preferred payment method (for the moment). I have a verified Paypal account. If you're not a fan of Paypal then no need to read on.

I'm not a professional engineer/machinist but have been involved with manufacturing, engineering and electrical work all my life and now enjoy machining as part of my model engineering / tool making hobby.

My machines are manual so for the moment I am unable to produce complex CNC machined components. I hope to convert my milling machine to CNC in the future.

I am totally new to offering such a service so please bare with me and if I am in breach of any site rules can I please ask guidance from the Moderators.

The Service.

New Build:
- Will require some kind of drawing or diagram with accurate dimensions and tolerances where necessary. Not limited to retro computing, I may be able to machine parts for your RC planes and cars, 3D printer, or anything in general for your hobby. I may require some additional time to buy in materials.

Repair:
- Send me your old part and I'll try to either repair it or make a new one if agreeable.

Payment:
- After agreeing a price I would like to receive pre-payment via Paypal.

Delivery:
- Delivery and return of parts will use a signed-for and insured service, unless prepaid packaging/envelope is provided.

Issues:
In the event something goes wrong, please contact me and I will try my very best to sort things out.

What I am not offering:
- The manufacture of any kind of weapon or part thereof, even if it's a gaming device or similar.
- Manufacture of parts for resale, multiple items etc.

If interested please declare interest in this thread then contact me via PM with requirements.

Thanks,
Ed.

Thanks Sir_Beaker. Have responded to your PM with ideas and a couple of questions.

Cheers,
Ed.

Hi ed,
just subscribed to this thread because I just know I could use something like this in the future. Some questions about this:

1 - What materials can you work with?
2 - What thicknesses / material strengths?
3 - What are the max and minimum dimensions L-B-H that you can do?
4 - What tolerances can you offer: +/-0,5mm etc?

Bryce.

Hi Bryce,

Please see answers below.

1 - What materials can you work with?

- Up to now on my machine tools I have worked with Steel EN3B, EN8 plus some unknown grade construction type angle section 100x100x10 mm, known as hot rolled steel, Aluminium, Delrin(acetal), Brass, Phospor Bronze, Cast iron, Model makers casting resin and various other unknown plastics. I should be able to work with stainless steel although this requires some experience which I don't yet have and possibly some harder carbon steels. I probably would not like to try machining titanium or tungsten. Definitely not wood.

2 - What thicknesses / material strengths?

- The lathe is very small, in the 180 x 300 class (that's 180mm diameter by 300 mm long) In practice the lathe doesn't really hold this maximum size. If I can hold the work on the machines safely WRT the mill, it shouldn't be a problem to machine it whether it's small or large. As for material strengths, I have some carbide tooling which can handle harder materials.

3 - What are the max and minimum dimensions L-B-H that you can do?

- The minimum is zero, I just keep cutting until all the material is gone :LOL: ...seriously my smallest milling cutter at the moment is 2mm diameter and I've cut mild steel with this. I have Digital Readouts to 0.01mm accuracy on the mill. It's possible to machine with very small cutters, less than a mm diameter, however (you may know already) very tiny machining requires very high spindle speed, beyond that of my machines. It depends really on what is required as to how it's approached. The max dimensions are again governed by the machine specs. Roughly speaking anything really small up to about 600L x 160B x 600H, but again only if the work piece can be safely clamped.

The lathe can also cut metric and imperial threads. I also have a rotary table if you needed a part requiring a circular hole pattern or milled feature around a circumference. This also enables me to cut gears although I've not done that yet and it's a bit involved. Willing to have a go though.

If I don't think my machines can handle a certain task or if I don't yet have the required skill level I would let you know.

4 - What tolerances can you offer: +/-0,5mm etc?

- My measuring tools offer 0.01mm accuracy and I have dial gauges etc. So far in my hobby I have been trying to achieve +/-0.1mm or better for milling to size. For turning it depends on what the job is. e.g. if the part is required to fit another part it may have a sliding fit, press fit or interference fit etc.

Please let me know if you need more info or clarification.

Regards,
Ed.

Vertical Mill Specification.

Item No.
3216YZ / 3217YZ
Drill chuck capacity
13mm
Maximum end milling capacity
16mm
Table size
700 x 180mm
No. of tee slots
Cross traverse
175mm
Longitudinal traverse
485mm
Vertical traverse
380mm
Distance spindle to table
750mm
Throat
170mm
Spindle taper
2MT
Spindle stroke
50mm
Number of speeds
Variable
Speed range
50 - 2250 rpm
Head tilt left and right
90º - 0 - 90º
Motor
750w
Power supply
240v
Dimensions W x D x H
950 x 590 x 930mm
Weight
103kg

Centre Lathe Specification.
Item No
3200AYZ / 3200YZ
Centre height
90mm
Maximum swing
180mm
Swing over cross slide
110mm
Distance between centres
300mm
Bed width
100mm
Longitudinal travel
280mm
Spindle taper
3MT
Spindle bore
21mm
Maximum tool size
10mm
Range of spindle speeds
0-1250 / 0-2500 rpm
Range of metric threads
0.5 - 3mm
Range of imperial threads
10 - 44 tpi
Tailstock taper
2MT
Tailstock quill travel
60mm
Top slide travel
50mm
Cross slide travel
75mm
Headstock bearings
Taper roller bearings
Compound slide swivel
360º
Chuck mounting
Flange fitting
Motor
560w
Power supply
240v
Dimensions L x W x H
813 x 380 x 330mm
Weight
70kg

Last edited:
Thanks Ed. (y)

Just to confirm, I've ordered the parts with the exception of the PSU and Unibios which I'll discuss with you later (y)

Looking forward to seeing how it looks :D

Quality information!

This is what's needed. If people don't know what's possible they won't make use of your service.

That's pretty accurate stuff you can do.

Bryce.

Last edited:
Fantastic work (y) Very professional work and highly recommended.

Positive feedback left.

@Rootboy, there are some in the Photo sub-forum >Here<

I have more photos but would only post with Sir_Beaker's permission as it's his project, unless he would like to post them somewhere.

Kind regards,
Ed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom