PDA

View Full Version : A1000 Kickstart Disks -- Other Amigas

sev
10th February 2015, 18:21
Hi,

I picked up a pristine a1000, complete with boxes and manuals, except the owner couldnt find the kickstart and workbench disks. I understand I cant use a PC to write the disks, but I have an amiga 4000 with Workbench (I believe) 3 something.

Is there any way I can use the A4000 to write a kickstart and workbench disk for the a1000?

fitzsteve
10th February 2015, 18:44
Yes, get the ADF images from the internet (Google is your friend)

Transfer the ADF files to your Amiga, method depends on what hardware you have available such as CDROM, USB, CF card if mounted in a removable area.

Use tool such as EasyADF (http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=694) or TSGui (http://aminet.net/package.php?package=disk/misc/tsgui.lha)(free) to write them back to real Disks.

mjnurney
10th February 2015, 19:58
oh i can picture a whole evening of fun ahead :-)

sev
10th February 2015, 20:00
Yes, get the ADF images from the internet (Google is your friend)

Transfer the ADF files to your Amiga, method depends on what hardware you have available such as CDROM, USB, CF card if mounted in a removable area.

Use tool such as EasyADF (http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=694) or TSGui (http://aminet.net/package.php?package=disk/misc/tsgui.lha)(free) to write them back to real Disks.

sweet! thanks!

I need to set up a IDE to CF card for the 4000, i dont have anything for it other than floppies!

fitzsteve
10th February 2015, 20:13
That would be the easiest way, you can then use CD as a slave device. There are lots of Amiga CD based games you could enjoy, anyway back to the topic.

It's possible to do it with Disks only, you can use crossdos which is built into Amiga 3.x to read 720k PC (Dos) formatted Disks. ADF files are 880kb so you can either split and join or use compressed files. (lha/dmz/etc)

It's a lot of work, I did it back in the old days to play games on my A1200/A500 when I was FDD only. It's a fun evening as MJ says!

Arnie
10th February 2015, 21:25
I thought the A4000 had HD floppy drives. You could copy the 880k image to a 1.44 HD disk then mount a Crossdos disk as 1.44 HD and copy the files across.

roy_bates
10th February 2015, 21:28
I thought the A4000 had HD floppy drives. You could copy the 880k image to a 1.44 HD disk then mount a Crossdos disk as 1.44 HD and copy the files across.

some do, some dont.mostly dont.

sev
11th February 2015, 00:02

some do, some dont.mostly dont.

I want to say my a4000 does have a HD drive

- - - Updated - - -

also I have a ethernet card, for the a4000. Any way I can hook it up so I can use it directly to download stuff from the web?

Im pretty new to amigas. Almost no experience with Workbench :)

sev
11th February 2015, 18:55
Guys, thanks for your help! That was not hard at all.

I got my IDE to CF adaptor, Cloned the amiga HDD to the CF drive, installed winUAE, got the roms and ADF and copied them over, booted the a4000 and created the disk. Easy peasy!

Thanks so much!

fitzsteve
11th February 2015, 22:17
Nice work :)

Now you can install a TCP/IP stack and use your Ethernet card to go online, you can transfer files easily next time with FTP or even grab direct from Aminet.

sev
17th February 2015, 00:44
Nice work :)

Now you can install a TCP/IP stack and use your Ethernet card to go online, you can transfer files easily next time with FTP or even grab direct from Aminet.

Question for you, some of the ADF files i share on WinUAE mount as files, some mount as directories.. Especially the workbench ADF, if I try to mount it any which way in winUAE, it ends up mounting as a system disk/directory structure, rather than a file I can use TSGUI to write...

Any ideas on what I may be doing wrong?

fitzsteve
17th February 2015, 08:41
Just put the ADF files in a folder and mount the folder as a drive in WinUAE then copy the whole ADF files to your Amiga so that you can write the ADF back to floppy.