PDA

View Full Version : Not computer related - Problem with BMW seat

dougal
23rd February 2015, 07:08
The passenger seat on my 2000 convertible BMW 323 CI has this really annoying and potentially dangerous problem where if a passenger sitting on it gets up from the seat sometimes can start moving back on its own.

It doesn't always do it and its not a problem if there is nobody at the back but if there is someone it could hurt their legs for sure. If the front passenger sits down on the seat again it will stop. It becomes an issue when i've parked and the front passenger gets out of the car and the person sitting behind is still in the car. Like i said it doesnt always do it.

The problem can even come up by just putting a little bit of weight (not sitting) on that seat. When it did that last for me i shoved my hands under the seat and pushed some wires and it stopped.

I've taken a quick look underneath but there are loads of wires and plugs and have no idea where to start.

Any ideas ?

protek
23rd February 2015, 07:16
I take it's an electric seat you're talking about. Sounds like some of the insulation has stripped off in the wiring and there is a short. Just take the seat off so you can get a better view of the wires.

dougal
23rd February 2015, 07:18
Yes its electric. I'll try and take a better look underneath as the prospect of removing it seems daunting.

I take it's an electric seat you're talking about. Sounds like some of the insulation has stripped off in the wiring and there is a short. Just take the seat off so you can get a better view of the wires.

protek
23rd February 2015, 11:15
Well, at least you have plenty of headroom to remove the seat. :lol:

Just google for removing the seat from your type of Bimmer. It probably is just a matter of unplugging it and then pushing all the way forward or to a specific point on the rails so that it can be lifted off.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's (http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1779909-e36-Power-Seat-Gear-Replacement-DIY) a link to power seat removal on an E36, which I assume you have.

Justin
23rd February 2015, 11:31
nah this is an E46, i would check the wiring to the potentiometer or the seat pressure sensor. it does sound like a chaffed wire

protek
23rd February 2015, 15:28
nah this is an E46
D'oh! That's what I actually had in mind. Don't know why I remembered it being the E36. :Doh: