PDA

View Full Version : SNES cart not working

dougal
1st March 2015, 12:26
One of my SNES games isn't working. It's a Super Mario Allstars + Super Mario World cartridge

I've opened it up and taken a look at it and it looks fine. I cleaned the contacts but still dead.

It just gives a black screen. All my other games work fine first go. I've tried this one on 3 different consoles.

ShambleS1980
1st March 2015, 16:04
does it have a battery in it? i know some of my old gba games with a battery would not work at all unless the battery had at least a tiny charge.

dougal
1st March 2015, 16:09
Yes its got a battery. I believe it still has the full 3 volts iirc.

I thought the battery is only to keep the NVRAM powered.

does it have a battery in it? i know some of my old gba games with a battery would not work at all unless the battery had at least a tiny charge.

dougal
7th March 2015, 16:56
Could it be the actual ROM has gone bad ?

dougal
8th March 2015, 11:29
So, I decided to take another look at this cart. Turns out the lower pins of one of the roms, 8 of them where loose.

The solder pads somehow broke from the board itself. I removed the solder and the pads and scratched away at the tracks to reveal the copper. I then bent the pins towards the copper and re-soldered them using my slightly less than excellent skills. :p

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/08/d1af60f3d9e9259ba6c61d63e70bdf95.jpg

Result ? First I tried it on my Japanese Super Famicom with a converter and instead of a black screen I got the message that it will not work on a NTSC Super Nintendo or Super Famicom. So I pulled out my old PAL SNES and set it up. The game finally works ... Well sort off.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/08/48eb0e72ba99b2ea6c4f6e6396e7ed62.jpg

On the title select screen there are many horizontal lines

Super Mario 1 - Tested Works
Super Mario 2 - Tested Works
Super Mario USA - Tested Works
Super Mario 3 - Tested ....... Works but with horizontal lines
Super Mario World - Tested ... Nothing only blank screen

Anyway, at least I know the problem. But now I give up.

I've got 3 original Super Mario World carts
I've got an original Super Mario Allstars (without Super Mario World)
I've got an everdrive

If anyone thinks its worth fixing and wants to have a go just let me know.

dougal
9th March 2015, 13:05
I'll look for any more damaged solder points. I stopped yesterday cause I had had enough.