PDA

View Full Version : Help with a resistor

gazcbm
9th March 2015, 10:36
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/09/19b2783883325975c1fedc4ce2fd5b78.jpg
Does anyone know what type of resistor the green one is in the photo? It's much bigger than normal resistors. I think the colours are red white black gold (29 ohms)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ajk
9th March 2015, 10:40
The bigger a resistor is the more power it can dissipate. It's hard to say without exact measurements, but that is probably a 3 watt resistor, whereas the smaller blue ones are likely rated for 1/4 watt.

roy_bates
9th March 2015, 11:17
range could be from 10 ohm to 20 first bar looks brown to me...

its a 3 watt 5% resistor thats definite.

if the bars are brown black black its 10 ohm,if its brown white black its 19 ohms..

best to turn it around slowly in a good light sometimes they burn more on one side.

Merlin
9th March 2015, 11:32
@ GazCBM

Remove the resistor from the board and try Roy's idea to see if the bars of colour can be read. If you can't read them, try carefully scraping off the ceramic coating from the resistor and you should see a spiral band of resistance wire (3 Watt resistors are wire wound). Try reading the resistance of the wire from the break to the leads and estimate how much in % terms of the wire has burned away. This will give you a 'ball park' figure for the resistor you need.

The important thing is, what caused the resistor to fail? You may need to look around at other components close to the resistor to determine what the cause of failure was.

gazcbm
9th March 2015, 13:23
Thanks Guys, Its definitely Red and white, but then the next colour could either be dark blue or black. Here is a link to the part I am looking at on Ebay (BIN)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Beko-DRCS68S-DRCS68W-Tumble-Dryer-Control-Module-PCB-2963281701-/111598110983?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item19fbc40907

The only other "Damage" I can see is on the flip side of the board the Voltage regulator looks like its popped (crack in the shell) and the box capacitor at the side of the resistor looks charred where the resistor was against it)

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I cant find a 29 Ohm 3w. The closest I can find is 30ohm http://cpc.farnell.com/multicomp/mcknp03sj0300a19/resistor-wirewound-30r-5-3ws/dp/RE07425?ost=3w+resistor&categoryId=700000011439

gazcbm
10th March 2015, 09:53
Thanks Guys, Its definitely Red and white, but then the next colour could either be dark blue or black. Here is a link to the part I am looking at on Ebay (BIN)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Beko-DRCS68S-DRCS68W-Tumble-Dryer-Control-Module-PCB-2963281701-/111598110983?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item19fbc40907

The only other "Damage" I can see is on the flip side of the board the Voltage regulator looks like its popped (crack in the shell) and the box capacitor at the side of the resistor looks charred where the resistor was against it)

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I cant find a 29 Ohm 3w. The closest I can find is 30ohm http://cpc.farnell.com/multicomp/mcknp03sj0300a19/resistor-wirewound-30r-5-3ws/dp/RE07425?ost=3w+resistor&categoryId=700000011439 Would this work?

Any help would be appreciated! Cheers

ajk
10th March 2015, 09:58
Most likely, 30 ohms is within 5% of 29 ohms.

roy_bates
10th March 2015, 12:39
we dont know what tumble dryer you have bud,to say if itll work or not.

Bryce
10th March 2015, 13:40
You won't find a 29ohm resistor because 29 isn't a "preferred value". Any chance that the resistor is Orange-white-black-gold ? => 39ohm 5%. This is a preferred value and much more likely to be the case. It's probably a 3W part, however, changing the resistor won't help much if you haven't found out what caused it. The burnt resistor is the symptom, not the cause.

Bryce.

gazcbm
10th March 2015, 15:46
You won't find a 29ohm resistor because 29 isn't a "preferred value". Any chance that the resistor is Orange-white-black-gold ? => 39ohm 5%. This is a preferred value and much more likely to be the case. It's probably a 3W part, however, changing the resistor won't help much if you haven't found out what caused it. The burnt resistor is the symptom, not the cause.

Bryce.

Hi All,

Thanks.... It COULD be orange actually, that certainly makes more sense when trying to find a replacment.

The machine is a Beko DRCS68S

As I mentioned, I realise that the resistor is symptomatic of a problem elsewhere. I have a feeling the Volt regulator has popped because there is a hole in there, could there be something further down the road still? To be honest, its not the end of the world, either way It would be nice to repair but a new board is not that expensive. Just enjoy tinkering with stuff.

Bryce
10th March 2015, 16:03
To be honest, its not the end of the world, either way It would be nice to repair but a new board is not that expensive. Just enjoy tinkering with stuff.

The source of the problem may not even be on that PCB, it could be a motor / sensor or something else.

Bryce.

gazcbm
10th March 2015, 16:46
To be honest, its not the end of the world, either way It would be nice to repair but a new board is not that expensive. Just enjoy tinkering with stuff.

The source of the problem may not even be on that PCB, it could be a motor / sensor or something else.

Bryce.
yup good point! never thought of that