PDA

View Full Version : Request for a dimension please if possible. Enterprise 64/128

Ed.D
17th March 2015, 00:58
Hey everyone,

Are there any Enterprise 64/128 owners out there that could possibly take an accurate measurement of the joystick shaft diameter please, using a micrometer or Vernier calliper?

Thanks,
Ed.

protek
17th March 2015, 04:56
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:405294

Sorry, can't help with the measures but I was wondering if the above link would be any help to you?

Ed.D
17th March 2015, 10:22
Thank you Protek,

I had seen the thingiverse model and the bore is 6mm but I wanted to get an actual measurement from a real system so I could make the bore a good tight fit. 0.1mm over or under can mean it slips off or won't push on.

Thanks,
Ed.

bagpuss22
17th March 2015, 13:22
The EP128 and 64 joystick toppers I own, have tapered bits inside the topper, so as you push them down they grip harder.

I may be able to get the measurements you want when I get home later.

Are you after making joystick toppers?

Russ

Ed.D
17th March 2015, 15:30
Hi Russ,

I was asked if I could make them and not being familiar with the system I didn't know how they were attached so many thanks for the info and your kind offer to measure them.

I made one in aluminium with a parallel bore not knowing there's a tapered clamp inside. If a lot of these are needed I could help develop them.

Thanks again,
Ed.

bagpuss22
17th March 2015, 19:27
OK, No micrometer at home! But added these.

Basic picture of topper fitted.

Joystick shaft with ruler. Looks like 6mm

Finally inside topper.

If you need it micrometered then I can take to work tomorrow.

Russ

Ed.D
17th March 2015, 22:45
Russ, thank you for taking the photos, much appreciated. It looks like that internal pin is a shoulder to stop the topper pushing on too far. I expect the internal bore itself is tapered and can probably be duplicated on the lathe.

Cheers,
Ed.

bagpuss22
17th March 2015, 23:48
If you are doing these in aluminium then I would be interested in seeing one, as so far I have only
managed to get some reproduced on a 3D printer, so this sounds very interesting.... :thumbsup:

Russ

Ed.D
18th March 2015, 16:00
Hi Russ,

Sorry, I missed your last message. I posted some photos in the Photo Booth area >LINK (http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?3079-Post-here-everytime-you-get-something-new!/page607)<

I'll be sending a couple to a fellow Amibayer to try out. Those have parallel bores of slightly different size, 5.98mm and 6.1mm. If we can get the fit right I can make them as and when needed. I know you're going to ask about price so I'll have to go away and look at the cost to buy some aluminium bar. I can do them in plastic too probably, although green machinable plastic seems to be rare as hens teeth.

Ed.

bagpuss22
18th March 2015, 16:36
Hi Russ,

Sorry, I missed your last message. I posted some photos in the Photo Booth area >LINK (http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?3079-Post-here-everytime-you-get-something-new!/page607)<

I'll be sending a couple to a fellow Amibayer to try out. Those have parallel bores of slightly different size, 5.98mm and 6.1mm. If we can get the fit right I can make them as and when needed. I know you're going to ask about price so I'll have to go away and look at the cost to buy some aluminium bar. I can do them in plastic too probably, although green machinable plastic seems to be rare as hens teeth.

Ed.

Wow!

They do look really good, I think you will be pushing it at 5.98mm as I am sure they are 6mm.
6.1mm will be cool and if they are a little too big then if they are metal then they should still sit
firmly.

I wont ask about price <bites lip> but will wait patiently.... ;)

Green or Grey plastic would be OK as EP64 had a green cap and EP128 had grey. I have had
red and yellow printed so far.

Russ

sir_beaker
23rd March 2015, 15:07
Hi, I hope you don't mind me posting on this thread but I wondered if Russ might have some opinions. They arrived about 20 minutes ago and look great IMO.

As you can see I have a dirty patch on the stick where the original topper probably gripped (I assume)..

The 6.1 is a little too large and there feels like there's a bit of play in the stick. I can turn the Enterprise upside down though and it won't fall off but it just feels a little loose to play with.

The 5.98 feels pretty much spot on. It easily pushes down to the mark and sits there and need just a little force to pull it off and there feels like there's no play while using it. I can push it down further to the bottom and it comes off with a little twist. Not sure how that compares to the original one which is where Russ might help? I love it though :thumbsup:

Ed.D
23rd March 2015, 16:35
Steve, thanks for the photos and feedback I think 5.96 would work even better, maybe with a tolerance of -0.0 and +.02mm. The topper looks a little fat to me, the diameter was taken from that STL file at 11.5mm.

sir_beaker
23rd March 2015, 16:57
No worries :D In regards to the size I don't know, it looks about right compared to this picture and feels comfortable to use :thumbsup:

If you wanted me to try out any other sizes I would be happy to :)

bagpuss22
23rd March 2015, 17:32
Indeed they do look good! Yes the 5.98 seems to be the better fit and looks about right.

I wouldn't go too tight as I would be worried about compressing the plastic shaft underneath.
The last thing you want is for that to snap. Need to make sure the edges that interact with the
shaft are rounded too as, again, sharp edges may cause problems.

Russ

Ed.D
23rd March 2015, 18:33
Thanks guys,

Russ if you have a minute could you kindly measure the diameter and length of an original topper please? ...if you would like to try one out I'll turn one for you for free.

To my old eyes I reckon the dim's are about 10mm x 25mm.

Regards,
Ed.

bagpuss22
24th March 2015, 09:40
Will sort that tonight ;)

fatbob_gb
24th March 2015, 09:56
If you dont mind waiting til the weekend I am willing to send you one of my toppers & the shaft that it connects to, if it will help.

Ed.D
24th March 2015, 11:48
Russ, thank you for that.

Bob, (it feels a bit discourteous calling somebody fatbob) :lol: Thanks also for the very kind offer but as these are rare items I wouldn't like for yours to go missing in the post, I'd feel responsible.

Cheers,
Ed.

bagpuss22
24th March 2015, 19:14
As requested....

85310Top

8531185312Side

85313Bottom

Hope this helps

Russ

PS. If you can do anything with GREEN plastic (same colour as keyboard) I know
the Hungarian lads would be overjoyed... ;)

Ed.D
24th March 2015, 19:23
Thank you Russ :thumbsup: so it does look like 10mm(correction 10.5mm), x 26mm long. Would you please PM me your address and I'll get one turned and sent to you.

I tried looking for green plastic but it doesn't seem to be available in a machinable type. I'll keep my eyes open for that.

Kind regards,
Ed.

fatbob_gb
24th March 2015, 21:10
I have managed to borrow some calipers from work & have looked at 2 toppers.

The diameter of the hole is 5.9 +/- 0.2

The diameter of the different Toppers is 11.45 & 11.3.

The total length is 24.65 & 24.55

The diameter of the shaft that it fixes to is exactly 6mm

Ed.D
24th March 2015, 21:32
Thank you Bob, those external dimensions are quite a bit different, possibly shrinkage in the plastic!? ...and larger than those Russ shows in his photos.

Kind regards,
Ed.

fatbob_gb
24th March 2015, 22:20
The finish on the green topper is also nicer than the finish on the grey topper.