Question about Saturn and backup games

dougal

AmiBayer
Country
Malta
I dug out my poor old Sega Saturn. It was having trouble reading discs after being stored in a box for years on end unused, but I cleaned the lens and its working perfectly once again :D

I was wondering if its possible to play backed up discs without a modchip and without the disc swap trick ?

Sadly not on the Saturn. You can region mod it but that will only allow the playing of originals from different regions. You will need a modchip to play backups

Ok no problem. It might be modchipped it might be not. I've got no idea. I bought it second hand years ago from a car boot sale.

I'll try loading a backup game and see if it runs or not I guess.

Sadly not on the Saturn. You can region mod it but that will only allow the playing of originals from different regions. You will need a modchip to play backups

- - - Updated - - -

Disc-Swap I will never attempt as I heard its not very good for the laser/motor

I got one of those universal mod chips over at assemblergames last year and it worked a treat, pretty much plug and play without the mega soldering of some mod chips.

It was not that much money either, but did work a treat.

I got one of those universal mod chips over at assemblergames last year and it worked a treat, pretty much plug and play without the mega soldering of some mod chips.

It was not that much money either, but did work a treat.

Any idea which one? I've got one that needs soldering and have never managed to get it to work, despite cutting the traces and soldering the pads I'm supposed to.

I think he's talking about the V3 modchip or something like that. The only wire that needs to be soldered is a 5v wire. The rest is plug'n'play.

For once the soldering seems easy. Not sure where the modchip can be mounted due to heat/space as I have not googled enough info yet.

I must say that of all of the consoles I have "chipped" over the years the Saturn is the easiest. From memory the V3 simply plugs into the ribbon cable going to the cdrom and thats it. About a ten minute operation to fit.

Back
Top Bottom