PDA

View Full Version : Question about Saturn and backup games

dougal
18th March 2015, 16:43
I dug out my poor old Sega Saturn. It was having trouble reading discs after being stored in a box for years on end unused, but I cleaned the lens and its working perfectly once again :D

I was wondering if its possible to play backed up discs without a modchip and without the disc swap trick ?

scrappysphinx
18th March 2015, 17:02
Sadly not on the Saturn. You can region mod it but that will only allow the playing of originals from different regions. You will need a modchip to play backups

dougal
18th March 2015, 17:07
Ok no problem. It might be modchipped it might be not. I've got no idea. I bought it second hand years ago from a car boot sale.

I'll try loading a backup game and see if it runs or not I guess.

Sadly not on the Saturn. You can region mod it but that will only allow the playing of originals from different regions. You will need a modchip to play backups

- - - Updated - - -

Disc-Swap I will never attempt as I heard its not very good for the laser/motor

Jamma
18th March 2015, 18:23
I got one of those universal mod chips over at assemblergames last year and it worked a treat, pretty much plug and play without the mega soldering of some mod chips.

It was not that much money either, but did work a treat.

danwood_uk
18th March 2015, 20:33
I got one of those universal mod chips over at assemblergames last year and it worked a treat, pretty much plug and play without the mega soldering of some mod chips.

It was not that much money either, but did work a treat.

Any idea which one? I've got one that needs soldering and have never managed to get it to work, despite cutting the traces and soldering the pads I'm supposed to.

dougal
18th March 2015, 21:38
I think he's talking about the V3 modchip or something like that. The only wire that needs to be soldered is a 5v wire. The rest is plug'n'play.

For once the soldering seems easy. Not sure where the modchip can be mounted due to heat/space as I have not googled enough info yet.

Jameson
19th March 2015, 07:09
I must say that of all of the consoles I have "chipped" over the years the Saturn is the easiest. From memory the V3 simply plugs into the ribbon cable going to the cdrom and thats it. About a ten minute operation to fit.

Jamma
19th March 2015, 10:23
Will see if I can find the link but I think a couple of the people on the board came up with it and sorted a small run.

Here is a link for the installation and also he seems to sell them, but out of canada.

http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?51058-Group-buy-Universal-Saturn-modchips&p=758835&viewfull=1#post758835