PDA

View Full Version : Amiga Printers

KBQ
27th March 2015, 10:20
I'm about to start using an Amiga 1200 full time for a couple of months because the internet is too distracting. Got a monitor, ram expansion, hard disc all that. Only problem is I'm going to need a printer.

Now punching in "Amiga printer" on ebay does get a few results for "untested" ones, and I bet they'll probably work. But as far as getting replacement ink, paper etc I'm stumped.

This is all before my time, I've only ever had inkjets on windows PCs. Does anyone know what I should be looking for? I only really need text output, anything else is a bonus.

bebek
27th March 2015, 12:42
Would be a lot easier to disconnect the internet from PC :).

I'm about to start using an Amiga 1200 full time for a couple of months because the internet is too distracting. Got a monitor, ram expansion, hard disc all that. Only problem is I'm going to need a printer.

Now punching in "Amiga printer" on ebay does get a few results for "untested" ones, and I bet they'll probably work. But as far as getting replacement ink, paper etc I'm stumped.

This is all before my time, I've only ever had inkjets on windows PCs. Does anyone know what I should be looking for? I only really need text output, anything else is a bonus.

manic23
27th March 2015, 12:51
I wonder if it is possible to use a modern HP LaserJet printer with an Amiga?

FastRobPlus
27th March 2015, 14:21
A printer like a Canon bjc-4000 should be cheap used and still easy to get ink for.

Ed.D
27th March 2015, 16:28
A list of Amiga supported printers will be the drivers in the DEVS:Printers drawer ...and if not there on the Extras(I think) disk in DEVS:Printers. Just drag the required one to your DEVS:Printers on the Amiga.

manic23
27th March 2015, 16:47
Yer I was wondering if any bright spark out there have made new drivers for modern printers for the Miggy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ed.D
27th March 2015, 18:29
I used to have a HP Deskjet 550c and an Amiga driver was available for it. I think I still have the driver somewhere on a public domain floppy. Sadly before I even knew Amibay and the retro scene existed I recycled the printer along with a Citizen Printiva 650C and a Philips G7000 console. I'm gutted now of course for doing that. I still have a Citizen Swift 24 dot-matrix ribbon printer.

I wonder what it actually requires to write a driver and compile it for the Amiga OS :unsure:. It must be a set of basic routines to send data to a port in a language the printer understands?

Nobby_UK
27th March 2015, 20:09
I was using a Canon bjc-1000 (and my nephew a Canon bjc-240) with TurboPrint 7,
http://www.irseesoft.de/default.htm

Cartridges are still available... on the other Bay
(the BX-2 Fax Type are usually cheaper Coz peeps don't know they work) ;)

Harrison
29th March 2015, 12:13
I alwaysused HP deskjet and they were always good. Third party print utilities which came with printer driver support are needed for many newer printers, or look on Aminet. Turbo Print and ghostscript http://www.whoosh777.com/ are worth using.

HP laser jets were also well supported.

KBQ
2nd April 2015, 10:43
I'm thinking of a Star LC 100 - I'm seeing a lot of them come up and dot matrix on fan fold paper actually sounds pretty useful.

jvdbossc
24th April 2015, 23:14
turbo print for amiga used to exist for more modern printer ports. any hp laserjet can be done with older models for sure.

KBQ
25th April 2015, 00:23
it's alright, I got a star.