PDA

View Full Version : FM TOWNS II HR - How to use in USA.

1983parrothead
27th March 2015, 13:25
Greetings,

I would like to know what the best voltage converter to power the FM TOWNS II HR in the U.S. while recording straight from the Analog RGB DB-15 port to my PC into MP4 format.

I have an ION VCR 2 PC Converter with an external RCA component port, but that wouldn't record the best quality.

Any suggestions?

-Acid-
28th March 2015, 02:39
When i import consoles from other regions I never use the original psu's or step down/up transformers. Just find out the voltage, amps and tip polarity and find a switching power supply from a console in your own region and if needed get the power jack replaced (you can take it from the original psu if it's a none standard jack).

1983parrothead
28th March 2015, 12:21
When i import consoles from other regions I never use the original psu's or step down/up transformers. Just find out the voltage, amps and tip polarity and find a switching power supply from a console in your own region and if needed get the power jack replaced (you can take it from the original psu if it's a none standard jack).

What place should I take it to for maintenance? Some computer repair shops probably don't accept old computers in the U.S., especially foreign ones.

-Acid-
28th March 2015, 14:46
When I need work like that doing I usually ask someone from the forum (such as Roy Bates for example) to make the changes I require and pay the postage and drop some beer money in etc.

protek
2nd April 2015, 15:46
Is your FM Towns imported from Japan? Doesn't Japan have the same mains voltage as the US?

1983parrothead
6th April 2015, 19:54
Is your FM Towns imported from Japan? Doesn't Japan have the same mains voltage as the US?

Yes, I imported it from Japan. And there is a slight difference between Japan and U.S. volts.

1983parrothead
26th April 2015, 11:19
*bump*

I looked deep into the psu and I don't see any leaks. Maybe using a voltage converter is the solution.

BLTCON0
26th April 2015, 12:28
Yes, check for proper power rating, and ideally give it a stable and clean feed by installing a good quality line regulator (http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=LE600&tab=models) before it.
(A line-interactive or even on-line UPS would be even better, but that gets expensive)

1983parrothead
26th April 2015, 14:10
Yes, check for proper power rating, and ideally give it a stable and clean feed by installing a good quality line regulator (http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=LE600&tab=models) before it.
(A line-interactive or even on-line UPS would be even better, but that gets expensive)

Sounds overwhelming. And that link isn't working. I kept bumping into this voltage converter. Is it worth it?

http://www.amazon.com/VCT-VT-500J-Japanese-Transformer-Converts/dp/B000PC4JL4

BLTCON0
26th April 2015, 21:39
It seems ok.
Don't know why the link doesn't work, maybe you can manually edit it out. Anyway, it's the Line-R series on www.apc.com website.

1983parrothead
27th April 2015, 00:27
It seems ok.
Don't know why the link doesn't work, maybe you can manually edit it out. Anyway, it's the Line-R series on www.apc.com (http://www.apc.com) website.

What seems okay? The Amazon one or the APC one?

I'm not sure about the Line-R series. If you own an FM Towns computer, then can you prove that it works?

BLTCON0
27th April 2015, 06:02
What seems okay? The Amazon one or the APC one?

The Amazon one. It converts to proper voltage and has a 500W rating. That makes it OK.

I'm not sure about the Line-R series. If you own an FM Towns computer, then can you prove that it works?

An FM Towns is not required to "prove" that it "works". Instead of providing "proof" I'll explain what a good line regulator SUCH AS the one referenced does:
It steps up or steps down voltage so it's closer to the nominal values and also cleans up the waveform a bit from irrelevant spikes/noise. Therefore the voltage transformer is guaranteed an input within its specified range. Therefore the output will be in the specified range as well.
The 120-to-100 transformer may itself provide such surge protection/filtering functions, the one you posted is doubtful to do so at that price point but you are welcome to research it more.
If you're sure mains supply in your area is a clean and solid sinus then just use the transformer. The natural environment of line regulators is poor mains supply.

1983parrothead
29th April 2015, 17:56
The Amazon one looks easier to get, but for the APC Line regulator, my parents might not let me take permission to purchase from a website like that.

1983parrothead
2nd December 2015, 13:37
*bump*

I just got a voltage converter and it still wouldn't run long enough. Took it to a local repair shop and they said to purchase a PSU brand new. Repairing it can be dangerous they said.