fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
I picked up my A4000 this morning which was generously given to me by sys64738 here:

https://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=7123

I can't thank you enough this is a lovely example and will be a great addition to my collection.

I've booted her up into the installed workbench and she seems to run just fine, will have to click around and try some games.

I've taken some pics, as you can see there has been some battery leakage, it dosen't look too bad but I am going to remove the battery. What is the best way to do that and to clean the surrounding area as there is some slight corrosion on the surrpunding components?

Little update - installed CWB Full to a CF card and got that to boot via the CF-IDE, works a treat but needs a soft reset on first boot. I think thats the CF-IDE adapter though as I tried the CF-IDE from my DivIDE and it was fine with that :)

Strange situation with the Video outputs, I can get a picture via the modulator using composite but I only get a black screen with RGB-Scart, tried two different leads that work on my A600/A1200 so thats weird.

Thanks for any advice,

Steve.

Attachments

• IMG_9420.JPG
    IMG_9420.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_9422.JPG
    IMG_9422.JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_9424.JPG
    IMG_9424.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9425.JPG
    IMG_9425.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9426.JPG
    IMG_9426.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9433.JPG
    IMG_9433.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Ok, so I found this page and removed the battery as advised in the last section (since I have no soldering tools)

I've cleaned the area with some meths and its looking ok now.

Is there anything else I need to do?

Steve.

Ok, so I found this page and removed the battery as advised in the last section (since I have no soldering tools)

I've cleaned the area with some meths and its looking ok now.

Is there anything else I need to do?

Steve.

You need to check out the caps on the main board for leakage and replace if required.

An easy way to check for sound faults is to play 'Worms' and listen out for the different sound effects coming out on the Left and Right channels you can have a bit of fun at the same time doing it this way :D

Dave G :cool:

Thanks for the advice =)

I shall do that shortly (y)

Set the machine up in the spare room, running great. Simple workbench, WHDload, perfect for some hideaway gaming.

Steve.

A couple of pics taken from my lame camera phone since the wife has stolen the camera lol. By the way its only setup like this bacuse of the huge modulator at the back I cant fit it on the desk any other way :whistle:

Steve.

Attachments

• 19062010498.jpg
    19062010498.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 19062010499.jpg
    19062010499.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 2
Not sure why the modulator would work but RGB doesn't. Tried different TVs as well as leads?

Considered an IndyAGA or RTG graphics? Both compliment the 'high-end' systems like this! :cool:

Not sure why the modulator would work but RGB doesn't. Tried different TVs as well as leads?

Considered an IndyAGA or RTG graphics? Both compliment the 'high-end' systems like this! :cool:

Good call! I tried another Scart Lead and this time on the 1084 and its working fine =)

So I guess now I have to set it up properly :whistle:

Got RTG in my A1200T which will have an 060 @80mhz shortly so I might keep the A4k like it is for now and look to those options in the future.

I really wouldn't mind a Cyberstorm PPC though :D

Steve.

A couple of pics taken from my lame camera phone since the wife has stolen the camera lol. By the way its only setup like this bacuse of the huge modulator at the back I cant fit it on the desk any other way :whistle:

Steve.

Go Indivison A4000 scandoubler and you can fit a LCD on it, bit expensive but worth it :D

Nice catch, Steve! I was having the same kind of issues with a CF card as you did. Changed to Sandisk card and that fixed the problem. Read about it at EAB.

P.s. If you come to second thoughts about the RTG, I've got one in the sales section. ;)

Nice catch, Steve! I was having the same kind of issues with a CF card as you did. Changed to Sandisk card and that fixed the problem. Read about it at EAB.

P.s. If you come to second thoughts about the RTG, I've got one in the sales section. ;)

Thanks Protek, starngely since moving the A4k upstairs its now booting straight into WB every time. Strange eh lol.

I'm sure it'll get the upgrade treatment at some point but I must get the A1200 Tower finished first :)

Steve.

I'm sure it'll get the upgrade treatment at some point but I must get the A1200 Tower finished first :)

Projects projects projects, ha ha :D
Don't get me started, maybe one of my A500's will be lucky to get the famous A530 attached to it.

Steve.

Go Indivison A4000 scandoubler and you can fit a LCD on it, bit expensive but worth it :D

Oh you have no idea, its an ABSOLUTE DREAM......

My A4000D (Divvy 4000/CD32) right now is driving 51Khz @ 63Hz on a HighGFX Workbench 1024x768 SuperHighres Laced (No flicker).

[edit] @Fitzsteve. That battery has to come OFF now !. I am sure you have done it already, just had to say it :), and yes I agree with the other comment, the other source of horrid component chuck, are the Audio Capacitors. When I had mine done, the person (Loedown on EAB, here in Australia) changed *ALL* the capacitors on the motherboard to NON Polarized, which do not have a polarity (Instead of Polarized that do have a + and - legs.

nice

just one thought neutralize the battery leakage

nice you got the extra memory sorted

just making sure (y)

so what method u use as I can`t remember if battery is alkaline or acid, got a feeling it alkaline so bring on the lemon juice for that lemony freshness but knowing me I`m probably wrong

Back
Top Bottom