Amiga A4000 Woes Continue

manic23

Only Amiga Makes it Happen
Country
United Kingdon
Region
Bromley, Kent
My problems with my Amiag 4000 continue to haunt me!

The symptoms: the system will not boot from the CF card I have tried different cards but no joy. It boots fine from floppy. Also I get no output what so ever from my Picasso IV not even the ROM screen.

This is what I have done to the board: it has been recapped, main board and the 040 card. the buster chip has been updated to buster 11

I am at a real loss now to know how to proceed with getting this working, does anyone have any ideas?

Was the CF working previously? I had to set some special Mask and MaxTransfer values via advanced settings when I set up the bootable partition in HDTools (set up CF in WinUAE for use in the real Amiga) otherwise my Amiga wouldn't boot the CF. MaxTransfer looks like it should be 0x1FE00, but maybe Mask doesn't need to be changed?

Yes it was working fine, before I know all about max transfer and all that stuff, that was already set up.

If you want to bring it round over easter we can have a play?

Very kind offer Steve thank you, might just do that! I'll call you mate :)

Ok bud. I'm free all day tomorrow.

It's probably me doing something stupid hopefully Steve will be able to help me. I'm going to see him tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meantime you can run Workbench from floppy with CF atatched and see if it is visible from workbench or at least from HDtoolbox

I have noticed :) but can you see CF card in it? Icons should apear on the desktop. Run hdtoolbox and see if it is vissible in it.
Or first thing is to go to boot menu and check if CF card is visible there.

I didn't think of that I will try Asap and report back thanks

We'll strip everything out and check everything one step at a time tomorrow.

Thanks Steve really appreciate your help mate :)

Good news booting fine from CF here, seems Manic23's CF was dead!

@Bebek,

We can't get any Zorro Cards to work, did you test with a Busboard? Maybe his Busboard is faulty?

We've just cleaned all the slots and busboard edge connector, etc with IPA and will try again.

- - - Updated - - -

Good news, we got the PicassoIV working :D

Cleaning the slots has helped but can't get anything to work in the other 3 Zorro slots so guess a new busboard is needed.

Otherwise, PIV running stable (it seems) in ZIII mode.

- - - Updated - - -

20150404_145430.jpg

:D

Last edited:
Just got back from Steves and just wanted to say a big fat thanks to Steve for helping me out this afternoon, thanks matie, you are a true legend, my A4000 now seems to be working fine apart from the BUS (riser) card. I think I may need a new one of those as the slots above the graphics card slot do no seem to be behaving, I'll post a wanted thread here shortly, maybe tomorrow after I have tested my BigRAM and X-Surf 100, they may work they may not, not sure yet.

Also many thanks to ThCorfiot for recapping my 040 card and bebek for carrying out various other repair work on the mainboard, including changing the Buster 11 chip and recapping the board.

Will report back tomorrow after I have tried he above.

You're welcome mate, was good to see it up and running. :)

Amiga A4000 Woes Continue

Just tried my BigRamPlus and it's working!! Happy days so far...

Last edited:
I have the x-surf installed now and the rapid road USB module the LED came on within 1 second, so far so good! Now I just need to figure out how to get that working :)

Back
Top Bottom