PDA

View Full Version : Repair HDMI port pin?

AmiNeo
8th April 2015, 03:00
Hi guys, I have a PS3 here, it's a super slim, and the HDMI port is pretty bad at holding the cable in. The cable literally falls out if it is moved in fact. As well as wondering if there may be a way to tighten the fit, I noticed recently that one of the pins (the gold traces) has actually lifted from the connector quite significantly. The port is still working absolutely fine so I can only assume the cable is pushing it back down when inserted and connecting with the pin just fine still, but it is a bit troubling and I would like to be able to re-sit it back in place but have no idea what to use to do so.

Any tips or knowledge I could steal from more those more experienced with this sort of issue? I would rather not have to replace the port unless its a last option, and I don't have the kit here to do so.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

roy_bates
8th April 2015, 10:03
the only sure fire solution i can think of is to fit a new port...

seeing as the port is damaged anyway,this may be the best solution all round.
needs a bit of skill and equipment to do though,not impossible but dont let someone with no knowledge loose on it.

AmiNeo
8th April 2015, 13:46
I'll try to get a picture up sometime soon. It's literally just 1 pin lifted.... It's a delicate job but if there were some kind of glue for this kind of thing.... http://www.amibay.com/images/smilies/dry.gif

Here's an image of the issue I found on the web, its the same but only a single pin is affected....

I don't have the equipment to change the whole port, and can't afford to spend any funds on it really.

roy_bates
8th April 2015, 13:49
mate,i wouldnt bother with glue.

more trouble than its worth to you mate.

AmiNeo
8th April 2015, 13:53
Perhaps not glue.... Is there not some kind of special stuff for these situations?

ShambleS1980
8th April 2015, 15:36
personally i would replace the port if possible.

AmiNeo
14th April 2015, 22:35
I already stated that replacing isn't an option at the moment. Are there seriously no alternatives? I might as well attempt something if it's going to need replacing anyway. It's only logical.

Edit: Of course that's the ideal solution, but I don't have the time, funds or equipment at the moment.

davideo
14th April 2015, 22:43
If you don't want to or can't replace the port and you're just thinking of glueing down the traces - why not glue the cable in to the port if it's currently working when plugged in?

AmiNeo
15th April 2015, 12:22
Keeping it in isn't an issue unless the cable is tugged or the console moved. I wouldn't want to get the cable stuck to the back and not be able to remove it again. I was just looking for a long term fix for the port without the need for replacing and thought there may be someone on here that knew of a way to stick the gold track back down, perhaps in a similar way to repairing tracks on motherboards.

If not I will make do for now. It just bugs me knowing its like that.

ShambleS1980
15th April 2015, 13:02
if i had too glue it. id get super glue gel. put some on a sewing needle. carefully rub it on the back of the pin, then with a different sewing needle press the pin back up..
but the chances of it holding are pretty slim.

Kusaka
15th April 2015, 13:06
An obvious idea -
if you just want your HDMI cable to stay put, why not put some tape on the connector (on the flat side, to keep contact between connector and socket).

AmiNeo
15th April 2015, 13:39
if i had too glue it. id get super glue gel. put some on a sewing needle. carefully rub it on the back of the pin, then with a different sewing needle press the pin back up..
but the chances of it holding are pretty slim.

That's something worth trying! Would superglue be the best adhesive to use in this case? I presume it's non-conductive once dried?

ShambleS1980
15th April 2015, 13:41
its ok dry but i would use the GEL kind. as it wont spread to cover other pins and recude conductivity

AmiNeo
15th April 2015, 13:44
An obvious idea -
if you just want your HDMI cable to stay put, why not put some tape on the connector (on the flat side, to keep contact between connector and socket).

Yeah I had thought of that. It's difficult though because the difference between 'loose' and 'doesn't fit' is fractional, and less than the width of the tape I have tried. The reason it's loose appears to be simply that the metal prongs on the bottom of the port are not as raised as they should be, so aren't holding the cable in place. Rather than being bent though, it seems like they're just worn down.

- - - Updated - - -

its ok dry but i would use the GEL kind. as it wont spread to cover other pins and recude conductivity

There's a specific gel kind? Okay point noted. I will keep an eye out for some. :thumbsup: