nicolaj132

ThatRetroGuy
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Country
denmark
Region
South jytland/roedekro
The cmos battery is dead, it is haveing trouble with floppy drive and cd rom drive on finding them, anyone in denmark hopefully?
its the version were its soldered on the board.

Last edited:
I assume it's soldered in if you are looking for help? If you don't find someone local you can send it to me for swapping.

Bryce.

Yep, its the old version of the cmos clock, i dont really want to swap it, its my only 486 computer, it can stil boot up.

Last edited:
I meant swap the part! Not the computer :D

If it has an external soldered battery this can be swapped. If it has a DS1287 RTC with embedded battery, it's possible to add an external battery to it.

Bryce.

Last edited:
its that old dallas clock chip on it thats gone bad, hmm, if i dont find help here, then i might come back to you and get it planned out.

you can get the Dallas battery NOS from ebay, i got one and replaced it and it worked,

some 486 motherboards allow you to jumper the motherboard for an external battery, 2 or 4 pin to attach a 3.7v battery pack.

do you know the exact make / model of your motherboard ?

Last edited:
well, i was more thinking on makeing it easy for myself to replace it with the external battery mod insted.

If it's a DS1287, then I can file it down and add an external battery clip, which I think is the best long term solution. You just need to send me the PCB or just the DS if it's in a socket.

Bryce.

Gesendet von meinem Motorola DynaTEC 8000X mit Tapatalk 2.

What's a "modern cmos battery holder"? You can get NOS DS1287, but the battery is still old and will fail relatively soon. You could replace the entire RTC with a modern solution, but that's expensive and complicated and differs for each system. As far as I'm concerned, connecting a new battery is the simplest, cheapest, "universal" solution.

Bryce.

you can't replace a Dallas chip with a cr2032 style button cell battery, the Dallas chip has RAM inside to hold the cmos settings, it also has the RTC inside so you need the dallas in a working condition to retain settings and time.

the best method if your board does not support external battery is Bryce's option, but check your motherboard some have a 2 or 4 pin header to add an external battery.

But you can shave down the sides of the Dallas RTC and access the battery contacts to connect a new battery clip :)

Bryce.

is there any documents about it? one of my brothers have a sodder iron, really? i cant change it to a more normal cmos battery?

Last edited:
is there any documents about it? one of my brothers have a sodder iron, really? i cant change it to a more normal cmos battery?

like I said,, the dallas does 3 jobs,
the clock
the cmos ram
the battery

motherboards with a coin battery have the clock and cmos ram on the motherboard,

sorry but thats the truth with the dallas chips.

It's not a battery it's the whole clock, or at least that's what you seem to be describing. Maybe you should post a picture of it to clear things up.

Bryce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom