PDA

View Full Version : Offered spectrum power supply repair.

roy_bates
27th April 2015, 11:16
this thread is for anyone interested in getting their spectrum power supply repaired and serviced.

this service covers the following model power supplys at a glance..

power supply for original 16-48k spectrums
power supply for original 48k+
power supply for original 128+2(grey model)
power supply for original 128+2 A/B
power supply for original 128+3

service covers full repair and service for all of the above/power supply in question.
as long as the unit's windings are ok,these can be fixed and serviced/calibrated.

if by any chance there is one not on this list then post in the thread with a picture of the unit ill do my best to help.
BUT,do NOT ask for advice in the thread about how to repair them as this is not what this thread is for.

dont ask for a fixed quote as i have to actually have the unit to diagnose it for a list of parts for the repair in question,the quote will be reasonable depending on parts with labor and therefore reflect the overall quote for the above reasons.
prices depending on damage done to the power supply for instance can be between 5-20 for the repair itself(does NOT cover shipping back a forth),this is so you have a rough idea how much it will be to repair(obviously,the highest is the worst case of a total rebuild of the supply itself)

anyone outside the uk,please be aware some of these units weigh a little over 2kg each...shipping it back and forth may not be a option for you if your looking to get it repaired cheaply.
but i will do it as long as your willing to accept shipping charges.

the service does not cover after market supply's,they are ten a penny and i don't want to be bothered with them.
so,please dont ask nor do i care about opinions on them about reliability as its nonsense...

any questions,let me know...

thanks.
roy.

DonAmiga
27th April 2015, 21:10
Hi roy

This sounds like something I need, I have a few spectrum's but one of them, think it was the 128+2 grey, using it for a short time (5 mins) it started making a loud buzzing noise so turned it off rjght away. I'll need to look it out and I'll post back here (may need a few days) ;)

Cheers

roy_bates
27th April 2015, 22:50
Hi roy

This sounds like something I need, I have a few spectrum's but one of them, think it was the 128+2 grey, using it for a short time (5 mins) it started making a loud buzzing noise so turned it off rjght away. I'll need to look it out and I'll post back here (may need a few days) ;)

Cheers

no worries mate,just get a multi meter and take a reading to see if its dead.

the buzzing may be normal if the sponge in it has rotted away;)
but,i can sort it for you if you like.

DonAmiga
27th April 2015, 23:16
Ok roy

I'll look it out and let you know

Cheers :)

roy_bates
6th June 2015, 20:30
just making anyone interested in this service aware i will be in hospital from next thursday onwards for an operation(thursday 11th june)
and it may take me two weeks to recover.

so bare that in mind if i dont answer pm's,this is why.

scrappysphinx
6th June 2015, 20:52
Good luck with your operation bud and hope you have a quick recovery :)

roy_bates
30th June 2015, 18:06
well,im feeling much better,so if anyone is interested here i am.

roy_bates
2nd July 2015, 16:55
i dont know whether or not to add other supplys i could repair,like amiga/commodore(any system/device) supplys acorn bbc etc and many others...or make a new thread? although opning new threads for such an amount of each supply would mabye be too much for me to keep track of.

but,if you have a power supply from a system and would like it repaired let me know it wont matter if its switchmode or linear or a hybrid ,and ill see what i can do for you:)
if your unsure...let me know,its fairly easy for me to work it out.

just say what the supply is and ill let you know as soon as possible.

im open to suggestions.