Amiga 1200 and Apollo 1240 + UPS = ....

Clean the connector on the Amiga and the Apollo with iPa , it's got to be a good connection. Is it a nice fit or a bit sloppy ?

Try to use an a500 power pack , the higher ampere one. The a1200 psu isn't man enough anyway.

is the crystal in correctly too ?

mike

what version motherboard is the 1200 ? Some don't like the Apollo

Last edited:
if you still have that busted power supply let me know,ill have it for parts as long as it wasnt turned on before you opened it.

i have seen a power supply that broke like that,it was really mishandled in a big way,i think it was dropped about three feet onto concrete and the shock broke it into pieces.

you or the seller need to claim on the insurance quickly.

Last edited:
It's a 1B Mike, the xtal was half out and with all legs bent sideways. This thing has been dropped hard multiple times over. The xtals legs has been careful straightened out and it has definitely been inserted the correctangle way around. The replacement PSU I'm using is a lightweight a500 version so not sure if this is 'normal' behaviour for an Apollo. The only other PSU I have is an A600 one so that won't be any use..

was the apollo in the 1200 when it was shipped?

you could check all the socketed chips to see if it dislodged any of them.then again if took that much of a wack it loosened the roms i wouldnt be surprised.

Last edited:
Hi Roy,

The chips have been removed and replaced with a puller. I've just removed the oscillator and a leg has dropped off so it looks like I'll be searching for an 80Mhz xtal now :(

which leg was it? one leg isnt used.

but,better to get a new one if it was turned on with it loose itll most likely be dead now.

It was the one marked with a dot (pin 1?)

Well I just managed to solder it back on after all that!

Anyone know where I should be checking voltages from with the Apollo attached?

You need a good power supply bud or you'll get black screens all the time , it's just too much load for a lightweight psu

if your checking voltages youll be checking the 5 and 12 rail at the card you can check those at the fan(12 volts) and on the jumpers near the cpu(5 volts)

cant remember which ones was ground and 5 on the jumper pads though at the mo...
oscillator runs on 5 as well...and the memory and all the support logic.

if you have serious power spike itll take out the cpld in a big way,youll know as the led will most likely be flashing...dont want to worry you too much but be aware of that.

Last edited:
if your checking voltages youll be checking the 5 and 12 rail at the card you can check those at the fan(12 volts) and on the jumpers near the cpu(5 volts)

cant remember which ones was ground and 5 on the jumper pads though at the mo...
oscillator runs on 5 as well...and the memory and all the support logic.

if you have serious power spike itll take out the cpld in a big way,youll know as the led will most likely be flashing...dont want to worry you too much but be aware of that.

No flashing LEDs at the moment. Fan voltage matches the 5v input supply and is not 12v??? Edge connector IPA'd but made no difference. Will have to check the XTAL voltage tomorrow as I've stepped out of my man cave for tonight.

Chris

Last edited:
dont worry the fan in yours is 5 volt:)

any cracks etc in the edge connector of the card?

Last edited:
dont worry the fan in yours is 5 volt:)

any cracks etc in the edge connector of the card?

I'll get my USB microscope out tomorrow and give it a thorough looking at... You never know, it could simply be my 'weak' PSU but the one Baz sent was a lightweight a500 version also..

Right, I've borrowed a heavy duty A500 PSU and there is no change. Found a couple of questionable solder joints on the 1240 and redid them. No change. The 74 series IC has been resoldered at some point and there is a very small repair wire that disappears under the IC. The only unknown now is the oscillator, at it was 90% out of its socket and then crushed flat against the board could there be a possibly that its broken internally? I've only got a 20MHz scope so am unable to measure the pulse!

I have a supply of dead a500+ boards with 28.37516MHz XTALs in them I could pilfer. Think I would have to stick the card into 060 'mode' so the frequency wasn't halved though??

Cheers for the link Roy.

Have tried with the 28.37516MHz in the 060 clock setting and still the same thing. Although this time I was able to verify it running on my oscilloscope.

Back
Top Bottom