SATA for amiga

limboy777

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
Uk
Region
Lancashire
Is there any advantage of using a SATA SSD HDD vs a CF card on an Amiga?

Grateful for your views/advice?

Speed no, reliability maybe.

Cost vs. benefits, not worth it IMHO

If you want SSD you could look at the IDE offerings by Kingspec.

A lot of people have a low opinion of CF's in Amiga but I've been using them for 5 years now without any issues worth mentioning, in fact I've had more mechanical HDD's die in this time vs CF cards hand down. So personally, I'd stick with CF and just keep a backup that you can easily write to a new CF in the event of any issues.

Last edited:
Hello,
I am also in the same doubt. I've been in touch with technical service in Spain and I say usually work and problems are identical in mac pc: drivers, are changed and work. I decided to buy one SATA3, PUE are backward compatible, the Samsung are the most compatible. I'll try my luck with the last model and a SATA controller that buy (FastATA 1200 MK-IV CF / SATA) and tell you in a few days (from 10).

http://www.amazon.es/Samsung-850-Pr...433367787&sr=1-1&keywords=samsung+ssd+850+pro

SSD is perfect for my Amiga 1200 tower, they cost little and deliver the maximum possible speed SATA, also guaranteed for 10 years in my case, as there are no mechanisms.
If you get information tell me, please ...

Greetings from Spain!

Thanks guys for the responses. Ive got a small netbook with a 16/20GB SSD in it (Cant remember size). It never gets used so I was thinking of using the drive if it had any advantages over the CF card. Ive not had any probs with a CF card myself and i think normal IDE HDD feel really slow in comparison!

If you want SSD you could look at the IDE offerings by Kingspec.

I got a Kingspec 16GB DOM for my A1200, however I could not get it to work at all. It could not be detected. Perhaps the version I got does not support PIO mode 0? I ended up putting it in my DOS PC, and there it worked without problems. My A1200 is now running with a 8GB CF card, which is also fine since the speed is effectively the same on the internal IDE port. And as you write, it is easy to make a backup and restore it to a new CF card in case it dies.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom