1541 drive - opencbm and getting annoyed!

ElectroBlaster

Country
Exeter, Devon
:mad:

I have had an old 1541 hooked up to an old pc running xp sp2 for some years now and always worked ok. Hardly used the drive but the last few weeks I have been on a marathon fixing, cleaning and setting up all my old c64 stuff. Thought it was time to image and re-create some disks.

The 1541 will read disks, but refuses to format them. I got a pile of brand new disks from vesalia.de some years ago and made sure they were stored to keep them dry. None of them will format :(

Anybody have any idea's what I could try, my next move will be to fish out the rest of my disk drives. Got an Oceanic and a couple 1541-II's to try out later.

No but that will be my next move! What annoys me is a year or two back, I formatted with opencbm and all was well!

I have been VERY careful not to contaminate the drive head with old moldy disks.

Hmm is it possible to connect up the drive to a c64 and still have another lead over to the xa1541 adapter? obviously only using either the 64 or the pc not both at the same time.

its better to do it on the c64,i found the alignment gets knocked about a bit using it on the pc(stops get a hammering)

if you dont have one now,get a alignment disk and use it fairly often.

so,i only used the pc to transfer and write disks,after it was formatted first.

I figured out the last time I did any real proper disk writing/formatting was way back in 2011! Bit shocked how much time has past. I also sussed out I had infact used a 1541-II to format a bundle of disks on a c64c.

I do need to purchase an alignment disk, will hunt one down.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom