Raspberry Pi - recommendations for OS, programs and add-ons

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
I spent Sunday lunchtime fiddling with my Raspberry Pi B+ 512Mb, v1.2. It had NOOBS already installed and so I installed Raspbian, I was quite impressed at how it performed. I was even surprised that the web browser wasn't too disastrous, although it was slow to load pages.

I then installed OpenELEC with Kodi and had some time trying to figure out the various settings. Youtube playback was impressive in HD for such a small device.

I've got hold of Chameleon Remix so that I can install some retro gaming goodness, but I am also looking for suggestions as to what other operating systems, media players and such that other people with Raspberry Pis have tried and would recommend that I try.

My Pi has a 16Gb card, so I have room for a few OS installs.

Anyone?

Last edited:
i only use mine (original v1 model B) for media playback using openelec/raspbmc and also retropie for gaming. I've not seen Chameleon so i'll have to check that out

@ Mike

Here's a video of it in action:

I don't know. I've downloaded it, but I haven't tried it yet.

Try RISC OS. You can run Linux on any old PC, but a Pi is just about the cheapest (and probably one of the fastest) platform for RISC OS out there.

Back
Top Bottom