Best A1200 PSU replacement

darkage

AmiBayer
Country
Victoria, Australia
Hi All,

Just wondering whats the best PSU replacement for a A1200 with the following hardware -

- Blizzard 030 with Scsi Kit IV (Mainly for additional Memory, might put on a mechanical 3.5 SCSI HDD if I can find the connectors etc..)
- Internal CF replacement HDD
- indivision aga mk2
- Old school Internal Floppy and External Floppy

PSU replacement for the old A500 as well A590 with Power hack to feed directly from Mobo

Currently I have a modified bulky noisy old ATX power supply, but tempted to replace it with either a TinyPico PSU or one of those modular switch mode PSU's that can fit in the old school PSU case (if I can find it). Prefer a quiet solution faxless if possible.

Just wondering what kind of Wattage would be required for the above and also whats popular choice at the moment ?

Last edited:
Hi,
In my opinion picoPSU mounted inside A1200 case are the best. And for your setup 60W is enough.

An A500 PSU might be all you need, to be honest. Unless the A590 is a particularly hungry beast?

Also agree that a regular 4.5A PSU should be good enough for that. I put a PicoPSU inside the original PSU case like you can see here:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=70315

A bit more powerful than the 4.5A PSU, even when running fanless and from the outside it looks completely original.

A590?

im sort of curious what you mean? they dont generally work with the 1200.

Last edited:
haha! For the A590 reference.. opps man I really haven't used my Amigas for sometime.. I was thinking about my A500 & A1200 at the same time while typing in a hurry at work.. Corrected my original post.

I think a 60w picoPSU mounted internally inside the Ami is a elegant solution, even that all stuffed in a Amiga PSU hack is pretty cool. Not sure if I still got mine. I guess I will have to desolder the power connector and hookup directly to pcb and check out the 12V power supplies I got around the house. Hopefully I got some slim ones around somewhere..

Wheres the best place to purchase one ? I understand best to get a genuine unit as theres alot of cheap copies, so that probably rules out ebay deals in general I guess.

Might check out the local distributor - http://www.mini-box.com/site/resellers.html#oceania

Thanks all for the positive feedback as always (y)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom