Sold SaV64 Pre-Orders (Saver/Overvoltage Protector)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Rating - 100%
190   0   0
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
Hi everyone!

I am very happy to introduce the SaV64!
SaV64Logo.png

The SaV64 was designed and created in collaboration with e5frog, based on his OVG64 over voltage protector. It uses an over voltage protection controller to allow you to safely use your original Commodore power supply or an alternative power source with your Commodore computers.

Here’s the complete list of features:

• - Protect your Commodore 64(C/G/GS/Aldi), Commodore VIC-20 CR, or Plus/4 (with an adapter) from overvoltage on the 5VDC line.
    - 5VDC and 9VAC Barrel connectors to allow easy use of alternative power sources. 5VDC barrel input is also protected from overvoltage.
    - Use an external 5VDC power source and continue using your Commodore power supply for 9VAC even when its 5VDC has failed.
    - Designed to handle 3 Amps in order to protect and power your system.
    - High quality relay that disconnects both DC and AC lines in the case of an overvoltage condition.
    - Dual color LED indicating the 5VDC status: Normal (Green) or Tripped (Red)
    - Can be reset with the recessed reset button or by unplugging the power source.
    - LED indicator shows when voltage is safe or tripped.
    - Four possible trip point settings to customize the protection to your system.
    - A high quality aluminum enclosure that will be customized at the factory to precisely match the SaV64’s connectors. The case is quite small at around 2.5 Inches Wide by 2.8 Inches Deep and 1.5 Inches tall.
    - 3M Rubber Feet and a professionally printed SaV64 logo are also included to complete the device.
    - The output cable can be routed through the same end as the inputs or out the back of the device. To accommodate either configuration, this is the only opening that is not pre-drilled.

Here are images of the prototype device. Please remember that this is a prototype so it has some cosmetic and other issues. I drilled the holes for the prototype so they are not exactly straight and you can see the aluminum on the edges of the holes. The factory cut holes will be properly cut and the same anodized black as the rest of the case. The LED will be lower and the reset switch will be closer to the outside of the case for easier access.

As you can see in the images, I have powered the C64 using the 5VDC from my benchtop power supply along with a 9VAC adapter plugged into the barrel connector.

I am taking pre-orders for the kits now! There are five SMD components but the rest of the device is through-hole soldering. I will pre-attach the SMD components to the PCB for anyone who is not capable of doing those components themselves. Please specify that you need this done when you pre-order.

Here are the costs:

$55.00 - Fully assembled, ready to use device.

$42.50 – One complete kit. Everything you need to assemble one SaV64. There are two barrel connector options: 2.0x6.3mm (Accepts 2.1x5.5mm plug) or 2.5x6.3mm (Accepts 2.5x5.5mm plug). You can get two of the same or one of each.

$1 – Each additional foot (30cm) of 4-Conductor output wire. The kit will come with 20 Inches (~50cm) of output wire. That will give you more than 1ft of cable between the SaV64 and your computer but you can order extra length at this price if you like. This will add a little extra weight to the package and may affect shipping costs.

Shipping Notice: Each kit is about 8 Ounces. Shipping a single kit to many countries will cost around $14.40. Please send me your mailing address via PM along with the number of kits you want so I can get you a good shipping quote. I am willing to ship multiple user’s kits to a single person who can distribute them, which might save money. Again, contact me if you want to do something like this.

Shipping within the USA is $5.25 for a single kit. I might be able to get two kits into a Small Flat Rate box for the same price but I won't know until I receive the components.

This kit was created with quality in mind so I did not skimp on the components. Higher quality components cost more but I fully expect the SaV64 to be a robust and reliable device for years to come. :)

Pre-orders will be open at least one month. I will only accept PayPal Gift for payment. I may make exceptions if this option is not available in your region. I hope I’ve earned the trust of the members of the community through my years of interaction and also the Final Cartridge III+ project last year.

I will update this thread through each step of the process. I expect to begin shipping kits within two months. I wish I didn’t have to wait so long but the pre-order payments are needed before I can order parts.

I’m more than happy to answer any questions you have!

I'd like to thank penfold42 for his early input and send a huge thanks to e5frog for all his work on this project. I could not have done it without him!

Heather

UserKitFullFtSMDStatus
Amon_RA010N/AShipped
loktar010N/AShipped
ChrisUnionNJ010N/AShipped
EFTPOTRM010N/AShipped

Last edited:
What a neat idea/device! I don't have much C64 knowledge but I've heard quite a few stories where the original PSU bit the dust and took the C64 mobo with it... this device might not add direct functionality but one will be happy to have it guarding the PSU when it's time comes... these things are ancient by now :blased:

People tend to not care or pay attention to PSUs but they are the one thing that can completely fry a machine, be it a C64 or an old pc...
I recently reworked a number of older AT/ATX PSUs just for that - and threw away 2/3rds of my PSU stock that were utter garbage. I can't risk a malfunctioning PSU frying any of my old retro systems :cool:

Great work Heather on this!

Last edited:
Thanks Keropi! I used to be unaware of the need for a good power source. Now I find it to be one of the most important parts of the system, especially with aging equipment. Hopefully others see it the same way. :)

Heather

When you start messing with high voltages, you need to get certifications. This device is to be used without the danger of a homemade device connected to a high voltage outlet. It works with the low voltage coming from your original Commodore PSU or other low voltage power sources.

I've decided to sell assembled units for $55.

Heather

Some members of the Vintage-Computer forum got it in their mind that I'm defrauding PayPal and the people who are buying this device by only offering payment as PayPal Gift. I will gladly accept standard PayPal from anyone who is willing to pay the fees and the extra costs for package tracking. This will add significant cost to International deliveries, which is why I was only accepting PayPal Gift.

Heather

Indeed a good solution for a problem that will only become bigger as time passes. Lots of C64s have been killed by bad PSUs throughout the years and it will keep happening unless precautions are taken.
I use a C128 type supply for my 64s which is much more reliable, however there is always a chance that it can fail, so I have thought about making something like this to protect my devices.

The price after shipping and customs fees would become too steep for me, otherwise I'd support it. But this has sparked me to again start building a protector of my own.

Edit: Regarding PP fees, the fees are actually usually higher for me when using gift (normally 4.5%) than the 3-4% that is usual for the seller when using goods payment.

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words! I am happy to work with someone in that part of the world if there is anyone who would like to help with sourcing components and distribution. I could provide the more difficult to get parts and everything else could be sourced locally. There's really not much money to be made at this price point and I'll most likely end up not even breaking even between the costs and time.

I made this project to provide a high quality solution to a need that exists in the community. I'm certainly not doing it to make money.

Heather

Hi Amon_RA!

Thanks so much for supporting this project! I'll return your PM in a moment.

@All

The PCBs have shipped! I'll be ordering parts over the next few days. There are still plenty available.

Heather

This sounds amazing! I'm paranoid my original C64 PSU is going to die and take my baby with it.

Declaring interest for one fully completed unit, PM Sent!

Is it correct that the LED will enable me to identify rogue Commodore power supplies?

If so I would like a fully assembled, ready to operate one.

Sent from a mobile device.

Hi EFTPOTRM!

The LED is Green when the DC portion of the power supply is in a safe voltage range. During an over-voltage condition, the LED turns Red and the AC and DC power are automatically disconnected from the output going to the C64. So, yes, it will help you identify rogue Commodore power supplies. :)

Heather

Components for the first batch have been ordered. I'll be sending a PCB to the case manufacturer by the end of the week. This will allow them to test the drilling pattern for the cases. Once that's verified, I'll order the cases.

I'll be working on assembly of assembled device orders while I'm waiting on the cases. I'm hoping to begin shipping by the end of the month. :)

There are still plenty of units available for order.

Thanks again everyone for making this possible!

Heather

*UPDATE* PCBs arrived today, September 8.

Last edited:
I would like to order one fully assembled ready to use Sav64 unit please.

Thank you.

Consider me interested in a kit, but first, I need to know what kind of components we're talking about soldering. I solder well, but my hands shake, so fine pitch components - or really, most anything SMD - is often out of my range. If you have any assembly pictures or an instruction manual you can put up, I'd much appreciate it.

@R-Typer

I'll send you a PM.

@ncc7456m

There are SMD components but I will solder those for you if you would like me to. All the rest of the components are through-hole soldering. There are a few through hole components that have small pads to solder to that are a little more difficult than the larger pads. Since you have trouble soldering, I'd attach the components that have smaller pads for you.

Heather

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom