PDA

View Full Version : My A4000D ATX Mod

SkydivinGirl
10th July 2010, 20:42
Hey everyone!

I finally got around to working on my A4000D ATX mod today and it turned out great! I really want to thank Nathan (http://www.amibay.com/member.php?u=606) for sending me the dead A4000D power supply that allowed me to do this mod. :)

Here's what I used:

Dead A4000D Power Supply
Blue Star 325W mATX PSU (http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=BLUESTAR-325W&cpc=SCH)
AmigaKit Amiga A4000 ATX PSU Adapter Cable with Switch (http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=42&products_id=615)

Nathan had already gutted the A4000D power supply so all that was left was the case with the wires attached and a fan. I removed the power switch from the dead power supply and cut all the unnecessary wires. I cut the wires to the pass-through monitor power connector because I'm not going to use it. Finally, I removed the old fan.

Next I disconnected the fan and removed the top of the case from the ATX Power supply. I cut the wires from the power connector then completely removed the connector. I was able to then place the ATX Power supply sideways into the old PSU case. Then I attached the ATX fan to the old PSU case and re-routed the wires through the old case.

I used hot glue to hold the ATX PSU in the old case and I was also able to run the switch from the ATX adapter back into the old PSU case and attach it to the correct location so the power button rod would fit just like the original.

Finally, I soldered the wires from the old PSU's power connectors to the wires I cut from the ATX PSU's power connector and used heat shrink tubing to finish up. It took a few hours total but I think it turned out great for my first ever try at this.

Let me know what you all think. :D

Heather

hikey
10th July 2010, 20:51
It looks really neat and tidy, which I like. You even found matching cable tie clips :)

jvdbossc
10th July 2010, 20:51
I like it...:thumbsup: Hope it works better then original. I still need to source a local matx psu and see how it performes..

TheCorfiot
10th July 2010, 20:53
Heather

A superb modification indeed :thumbsup:

Very clean & well thought out, but best of all it keeps the all original look, especially the power rod / switch operation.

Well nice & pokey supply, time to further populate the Z III slots and use the juice :lol:

Excellent work indeed, certainly got the hang of this hackery malarky haven't you girl.. :nod:

Be proud, very proud indeed, well I'm very proud of you.

Keep up the great work :thumbsup:

Best Wishes
TC :D

JD6
10th July 2010, 20:57
Very nice :thumbsup:
I like the green and blue cable tie clips :)
I'm planning this hack too, so thank you for great inspiration.

mfilos
10th July 2010, 21:31
That is indeed a fine mod Heather!
Really well done maintaining the original look and feel :D
Good to see more juice for the beloved A4000. Not all PSUs deliver the required Amperes for +5V line.

Keep up the good work girl :thumbsup:

Brian
10th July 2010, 21:55
Really nice work! Even better than you could keep the original look-and-feel.

SkydivinGirl
10th July 2010, 22:50
Wow! Thank you all for the wonderful words. :) I sincerely appreciate your thoughts. You are my peers in the retro community and I really value your opinions.

I had a few goals in mind when I was doing this mod:

Make the mod completely removable by not modifying the A4000D case.
Keep the hard drive tray in the same location.
Use the original A4000D power rod to turn the power on/off.
Keep things as tidy as possible.

The dead A4000D PSU that Nathan sent to me made all of these things possible. My biggest concern was how I was going to attach the ATX PSU to the inside of the old PSU. I decided to use hot glue and it worked better than I expected. :)

Well nice & pokey supply, time to further populate the Z III slots and use the juice :lol:

Excellent work indeed, certainly got the hang of this hackery malarky haven't you girl.. :nod:

Be proud, very proud indeed, well I'm very proud of you.
Thanks so much Bas! I'm very happy with this little ATX power supply and I really wish I had bought two of them! The hackery bit is a learning process and I think I get a little better each time. Maybe some time I'll be able to wow everyone with something really incredible. :wink:

Thanks again everyone!

Heather

Merlin
10th July 2010, 23:08
@ Heather

There's only one thing missing ; a picture of the proud owner with the machine....(hint hint)

/Merlin nudges rkauer....:whistle:

keropi
10th July 2010, 23:23
very nice mod Heather!!!! Congrats!!!!

rkauer
11th July 2010, 06:08
A beauty, indeed.

And the power supply looks very nice, too. Well done, Heather. I'm proud of you.

And deeply in love now...

SkydivinGirl
11th July 2010, 13:11
Thanks again everyone! One of the other nice things about the mod is that the system is quieter than it was before. :)

Heather

Nathanieltolbert
13th July 2010, 15:58
I'm glad to see that dead power supply came in handy. Don't listen to the boys here trying to talk you into snapping a picture of yourself with the machine. We already know you are beautiful, both in personality and kindness (as well as that small picture someone found of you.:))

Justin
13th July 2010, 17:14
I'm glad to see that dead power supply came in handy. Don't listen to the boys here trying to talk you into snapping a picture of yourself with the machine. We already know you are beautiful, both in personality and kindness (as well as that small picture someone found of you.:))

oh god, i think i'm going to be sick! far too much sugary sweetness in here for me:sick:

Nathanieltolbert
13th July 2010, 17:29
Have to tell the truth. SdG is the nicest person I have met online in a long time. She just also happens to be a woman. We all know that she is very attractive, well those of us who saw the picture. Plus to top it all off, a vast majority of the men on here who put up pictures are quite handsome as well. I am comfortable enough with myself to say that we have some good looking guys on this website. Oh no, my mind, it is warped. I just thought 'Hey we could make a dating site, calling Ami-Men - The men of Amibay - discreet dating site.' Bad mind! Bad! :lol::lol:

TheCorfiot
13th July 2010, 17:31
Have to tell the truth. SdG is the nicest person I have met online in a long time. She just also happens to be a woman. We all know that she is very attractive, well those of us who saw the picture. Plus to top it all off, a vast majority of the men on here who put up pictures are quite handsome as well. I am comfortable enough with myself to say that we have some good looking guys on this website. Oh no, my mind, it is warped. I just thought 'Hey we could make a dating site, calling Ami-Men - The men of Amibay - discreet dating site.' Bad mind! Bad! :lol::lol:

Nathan

Can you please post to me immediately some of the drugs you are taking at the moment

TC :lol:

Justin
13th July 2010, 17:33
lol TC talk for yourself! I mean, I am a good looking guy, big headed? maybe, but still a good looking guy:p

TheCorfiot
13th July 2010, 17:39
lol TC talk for yourself! I mean, I am a good looking guy, big headed? maybe, but still a good looking guy:p

None of my girlfriends were really ever into Morrisey :p

Justin
13th July 2010, 17:41

None of my girlfriends were really ever into Morrisey :p

none that told you anyway :lol:

TheCorfiot
13th July 2010, 17:42
Ah Juvvy, predictable you are not indeed

I was awaiting a Super Mario Comeback :lol:

Justin
13th July 2010, 17:45
Ah Juvvy, predictable you are not indeed

I was awaiting a Super Mario Comeback :lol:

lol nah m8, where would be the fun in that? :cool:

Nathanieltolbert
13th July 2010, 17:58
I believe the drug I am on right now is lack of sleep. I have had 12 hours of sleep since Friday. I cannot seem to get my sleep patterns re-regulated. I had to be up at 6 am for three days no matter when I went to sleep and now I cannot sleep past 6 am even though I didn't go to bed until 2:30 this morning. But what I say is the truth, we have handsome people on this website. Just because I'm not one of them doesn't mean I don't recognize that other gentlemen are handsome.

TheCorfiot
13th July 2010, 18:06
@Nathan

I hope you took it in the fun nature it was intended my friend.

Lack of sleep is bad news indeed :thumbsdown:
I hope you catch up real soon...

ZZZZZZZZZ's glorious ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ's indeed

PS - Heather, sorry for all the offtopic but Nathan started it honest :lol:

Best Wishes
TC :thumbsup:

Nathanieltolbert
13th July 2010, 18:12
Yes I did start it and I mean every word of it. I'm still happy you found a use for that beat up power supply case, I still think SdG is a beautiful person, and I still think we have a lot of good looking members on this site. I retract none of it!!! I think I will be taking a sleeping pill tonight around 8PM so I can fall asleep at 10pm. That should make it easier to wake up at 6 and not feel like I have sandpaper in my eyes, with my brain moving at tortoise like speeds. Too bad I don't drink coffee.

Merlin
13th July 2010, 19:56
..... and I still think we have a lot of good looking members on this site. I retract none of it!!!

Why, thank you Nathan; I was beginning to think that on-one had noticed....:whistle:

:lol:

SkydivinGirl
13th July 2010, 21:36
Have to tell the truth. SdG is the nicest person I have met online in a long time.
That's so sweet! You're super nice as well. :wink:

Plus to top it all off, a vast majority of the men on here who put up pictures are quite handsome as well.
I would have to agree with that statement. There are some very handsome folks around here! :D

Heather

Justin
13th July 2010, 21:40
Have to tell the truth. SdG is the nicest person I have met online in a long time.
That's so sweet! You're super nice as well. :wink:

Plus to top it all off, a vast majority of the men on here who put up pictures are quite handsome as well.
I would have to agree with that statement. There are some very handsome folks around here! :D

Heather

you mean me don't you! :thumbsup:

SkydivinGirl
13th July 2010, 21:46
If I say yes, do you promise your head won't get any bigger? :lol::lol::lol::p:p:p

Heather

Justin
13th July 2010, 21:51
If I say yes, do you promise your head won't get any bigger? :lol::lol::lol::p:p:p

Heather

yeah promise :)

Nathanieltolbert
13th July 2010, 22:17
@JuvUK - Liar! Don't say it, he lies! Soon his head will look like a second orbiting celestial body!:p

Justin
13th July 2010, 22:17
@JuvUK - Liar! Don't say it, he lies! Soon his head will look like a second orbiting celestial body!:p

ssshhhhhhh:shhh:

rkauer
13th July 2010, 22:33

Heather

yeah promise :)

:lol::lol::lol:
:ROTFLOL2::ROTFLOL2::ROTFLOL2::ROTFLOL2:
:rofl3:rofl3:rofl3:rofl3

Another contestant for Amiquote of the year! Juzzer, do you mind to put a comma in your sentence, as Heather didn't notice the missing small and very important bit?

Or you mean that way?:mad:

SkydivinGirl
14th July 2010, 02:56
LOL! You guys are silly. :)

Heather

salaxi54
14th July 2010, 08:43
A mighty fine mod there, SDG :thumbsup:

thgill
14th July 2010, 17:46
Very nice little conversion.

I have modded several AT and ATX psus for A500/A1200 usage and they work great. Besides being a little time consuming, its an overall pretty easy and straight forward process. Though I haven't modded a bigbox Amiga power supply before.

Depending on the age of the psu, I certainly recommend replacing the fan in them with something newer and quieter. Nothing like having an Amiga with no cooling fans in it, compact flash HD and passive cpu cooling ruined by a noisy external (or internal in this case) power supply that sounds like a leaf blower.

Speaking of which, I have one now that needs the fan replaced.

SkydivinGirl
14th July 2010, 18:20
Very nice little conversion.
Thanks!

Depending on the age of the psu, I certainly recommend replacing the fan in them with something newer and quieter.
The fan that you see in the pictures of my mod is actually the fan from the ATX power supply, so it is brand new. It just so happened to be the same exact size as the old A4000 fan. :D It's still not super quiet, but it is quieter than the hard drive. :wink:

Heather

SkydivinGirl
14th July 2010, 20:40
FYI everyone, Geeks.com has another mATX power supply with almost the same specs as the one I used for this project except the +5V is 23A instead of 28A. This should still be sufficient for an A4000, right?

A-Power AK 420W 20+4 mATX PSU (http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=AK420M&cpc=SCH)

I went ahead and ordered one for myself. And the good news is that Geeks.com DOES ship International. :wink:

Take care,

Heather

Brian
14th July 2010, 20:47
Ah, Geeks.com, one of my favoritest places. Such cool stuff.

@SdG

I was wondering about that myself. I don't have a 4000 of any stripe at the moment but I'd heard that the 5V line is really stressed on a lot of standard ATX power supplies. Hopefully somebody will have a definite answer.

SkydivinGirl
14th July 2010, 20:55
Ah, Geeks.com, one of my favoritest places. Such cool stuff.[QUOTE]
I haven't bought much from them, but they have very inexpensive PSUs. :) They also offer economy shipping in the USA so it was about $6.50 to ship this to me.

[QUOTE=Brian;82034]I was wondering about that myself. I don't have a 4000 of any stripe at the moment but I'd heard that the 5V line is really stressed on a lot of standard ATX power supplies. Hopefully somebody will have a definite answer.
According to this post by our own Zetr0 (http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?p=56346), the Amps should be high enough but he doesn't seem to keen on the mATX PSUs.

Thanks!

Heather

Kin Hell
14th July 2010, 23:22
Nice one Heather. Go show 'em Girl! :D

Charlie

Fizzy
15th July 2010, 02:46
I think I may also have found a nice matx psu while having a clearout. Its an Aspire 420W mATX psu, with apparantly 29A on the 5V rail. Should do nicely on the amiga. :D Don't recognise the make though... :unsure:

One thing that has puzzled my though - some atx/switch mode power supplies I've seen actually have a MINIMUM rating for their power rails which tends to include the 3.3v or -5v lines which aren't used by an amiga. I assume the psu requires some load on these lines to make internal voltages stable. What would happen on one such psu when wired up to an amiga?

Zetr0
15th July 2010, 02:56
There is a way round these minimum draw use issues on some PSU, this usually is subtly different from PSU to PSU.

Retrograde
25th July 2010, 13:02
Looks like a solid mod!

Interesting to read and see the pics for me cause I plan to replace the innards of my A500+ PSU with a mATX PC one in some fashion, if I can find one that fits and costs less than $40-$50-ish from a local supplier. ;)
Couple of capacitors peeling badly in the original and tbh replacing them might cost almost as much as a new PSU with, well, new components and hopefully stable current with amps to spare!