need help on A1200 pcmcia<>dkb1202

PymerOne

Noob pur sang
AmiBayer
Country
Netherlands, Europe
Region
NoordHolland, Far side of civilisation's border.
Dear All,

while i am desperatley waiting to find harddiskcontrollers for my A1000 and A2000 i thought i just might attack my A1200 once again.
I have the A1200 with Harddisk, 3c589 pcmcia card and a DKB1202.
Also i found a magicmem program, supposed to allow the A1200 to contain both network and some memory.
Filled the DKB with 8MB EDO, set the jumper to 4MB.
Now the trouble starts....i don't find info on exactly how and where to configure magicmem.
Try as i might, DKB blocks pcmcia.
For testing purposes i inserted a pcmcia2cf card...also does not show up.
Even when the DKB is only populated with 4MB pcmcia is not available.
I am very lost here....

Anyone to the resque?

Grtz, PymerOne.

Welcome to Amibay.

Now, on the 4Mb problem: this is indeed strange, as any 4Mb RAM expansion will not block the PCMCIA, no matter what.

I think you need to start to do a thorough check on the PCMCIA port (search for missing or bent pins), then replace the electrolytic capacitors on the motherboard, then check the voltage levels on the power supply.

BTW: are you using the underpowered original brick to feed the Amiga?

Now on the other matter: check on the Amiga hardware for sale section. There you'll find Tomthull selling a 2Mb RAM + IDE controller for the A500 (I think it will fit the A1000, too).

He also sell a lateral connector to Zorro-2 adaptor which can use any A2000 expansion for the A1000/A500.

And finally, Mika Leilonen (MrMKL) himself is currently selling his fully auto-boot IDE68k on the same place.

@PymerOne

Are you using Kickrom 3.1 or 3.0 ?

Welcome to Amibay.

Now, on the 4Mb problem: this is indeed strange, as any 4Mb RAM expansion will not block the PCMCIA, no matter what.

I think you need to start to do a thorough check on the PCMCIA port (search for missing or bent pins), then replace the electrolytic capacitors on the motherboard, then check the voltage levels on the power supply.

BTW: are you using the underpowered original brick to feed the Amiga?

Now on the other matter: check on the Amiga hardware for sale section. There you'll find Tomthull selling a 2Mb RAM + IDE controller for the A500 (I think it will fit the A1000, too).

He also sell a lateral connector to Zorro-2 adaptor which can use any A2000 expansion for the A1000/A500.

And finally, Mika Leilonen (MrMKL) himself is currently selling his fully auto-boot IDE68k on the same place.
Dear RKauer,
thankyou very much for your reply ;)
Ofcourse silly me forgot to mention pcmcia works fine as long as the DKB is not in the machine, indicating there is no dammage done to the pins yet.

Do all capacitators need replacing because they gradually deteriorate over time or can i search for roundtop/burst ones?

Confessiontime: being the cheap bastard that i am, i use the original powerbrick.

I will check out DIY posts and for sale ads, this looks very promising.

Thamk you very much for great info ;)
Grtz, PymerOne.

---------- Post added at 11:28 ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 ----------

@PymerOne

Dear Zetr0,

i will look into kickversion tonite...now i have to run because the horses have broken the fence yet again, i for one dont want them to escape onto the highway.

Thanks for your reply.

Grtz, PymerOne.

All the electrolytic capacitors must be replaced. Due they age they start to leak or dry inside.

But on my experience the most affected ones are the 10uF x 25V (5 pieces) and the 22uF x35 (2 on the audio out, 3 on other places around the board).

Take a look on this link.:readit:

On the PSU side: a simple A500 PSU (the ones with 4.5A on the +5V line) are perfect for medium to highly expanded A1200.

If you really want to DIY an ATX PSU, go for it.

My good friend Zetr0 made a thread about it. Funny thing is we do the same thing at almost same time using the very same power supply! And we didn't even talking about it.

All the electrolytic capacitors must be replaced. Due they age they start to leak or dry inside.

But on my experience the most affected ones are the 10uF x 25V (5 pieces) and the 22uF x35 (2 on the audio out, 3 on other places around the board).

Take a look on this link.:readit:

On the PSU side: a simple A500 PSU (the ones with 4.5A on the +5V line) are perfect for medium to highly expanded A1200.

If you really want to DIY an ATX PSU, go for it.

My good friend Zetr0 made a thread about it. Funny thing is we do the same thing at almost same time using the very same power supply! And we didn't even talking about it.
Dear RKauer,

i will look into the capacitators and PSU some day soon.
For now i will be buzzy with the A2000, pc, horses, archery, dirtbikes and yikes...work too.

Grtz, PymerOne.

@PymerOne

Dear Zetr0,

typing version into a CLI tells me i have kickstartversion 39.106...sounds like 3.0.
Workbenchversion is 39.29...close enough, this indicates 3.0 also.
Sure enough there is newer versions around, but is this 3.0 combo so very awfull?
Sidenote: while i was at the machine i tried yet again to install networkthingemagic on it.
Removed DKB1202, tested pcmcia2cf card, that checks ok.
Copied files needed for install from pcmciacf to harddisk.
Swapped pcmcia2cf for 3com card, light came on immedeatly.
As i reform-matted the harddrive after last failure, all was clean and standard.
Had to copy in installer to make scripts run, pcmciaresetpatch was applied too.
3c589 dumped its device in devs:network iirc.
Reboot just to make sure.
AmiTCP 4.0 Demo asked me for info, which i supplied.
Then there was a reboot, then the system hangs while trying to find the configfiles i need to edit.
Rebooted again.
Editted first configfile where SANAII device should be using 3c589.device....but there is no uncommented line with SANAII in it.
Probably because i chose 2065 device during setup of amitcp, so i listed 3c589.device (twice) there.
Reboot again.
No light on the 3com...until i remove and re-insert the card.
Startnet hangs, mouse freeses.
When in doubt, reboot.
Been fiddling a while to find the other configfile, but the manual i had for setting up tcpip is slightly misplaced and my brain holds data only untill weekend, so i was quite clueless here.
Amiga back into storage, tomorrow i will search yet again for the amitcp info.
It feels like there was way too many quircks and crashes, doesnt feel good.

Anyways, i have to go sleep now.
Cheers, pymerOne.

Back
Top Bottom