CD32 with 8 Pin Mini Din - RGB Scart Possible?

wmsteele

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
Scotland
Region
Renfrewshire
I have a CD32 that has an 8 pin connector where you would normally find a 4 pin S-Video port so potentually could be a French SECAM version, it has with a rev 4 motherboard but also a modulator for RF output. According to what I've been able to uncover the French CD32 didn't have RF output, so its a bit odd, although this would appear to be the only CD32 board with an 8 pin connector.

The board has been recapped and the modulator removed. The challenge is to now make a suitable RGB scart cable, unfortunately I've not been successful, all I'm getting is a black screen. Some sort of signal is present as the TV would normally show "no connection" but when the CD32 is powered this disappears but screen remains black/blank. The board is otherwise perfect, RGB output works fine using Kipper's adapter.

The rev 4 schematics (SECAM version) suggest the socket should support RGB output suitable for connection to a SCART socket...

So... 1 = Red, 2 = Blue, 3 = GND, 4 = Green, 5 = GND, 6 = Luma, 7 = C-Sync, 8 = Chroma

DIN = to = Scart
1 = Red = 15
2 = Blue = 7
3 = GND = 17 and or 18
4 = Green = 11
5 = GND = 17 and or 18, or leave blank
6 = Luma = leave empty (important only for S-Video)
7 = C-Sync = 20
8 = Chroma = leave empty (important only for S-Video)

Have I missed anything?

Last edited:
Are you sure the extra pins on the port are connected?
Perhaps its just wired for s-video Lum and Chrom....

According to the specs they are fully wired as shown. Would it be possible to confirm by looking at the board?? Will post some pics.

I still think although the French version 4 had a 8-pin DIN, it was still wired for s-video and not RGB. I could be wrong, but if you can trace the extra pins back to the video chip then it might be possible.

I'm 99.99% sure... its listed on the schematics as a 'RGB/S-Video'

I've also found various posts of people successfully taping a RGB signal from these boards.

Maybe some pictures would help, will get some uploaded this evening.

Do you use resistor on C-Sync in your cable? TV might also miss voltage on pin 16 to select RGB mode..

Thanks for the suggestions, what size of resistor would the C-Sync connection need? None of the docs I've looked at mention a resistor here, worth a try?

The German guide differs with these...
6 = Luma = 20 (Video-Eingang)
7 = C-Sync = 16 (Austastung RGB)
8 = Chroma = 8 (AV-Umschaltung)

Would connecting C-Sync to scart 16 supply the required voltage?
Is using Luma to scart 20 a viable sync option?

I was under the impression Luma & Chroma were only needed for S-Video?

Still trying to get my head around the correct DIN to SCART connections, I've found various combos now... confused!

Last edited:
Success :-D

Perfect RGB picture from 8 pin mini DIN to SCART, wired as follows...

8 7 6
5 4 3
2 1

DIN
SCART
Wire colour as pictured
1 = Red15 = Red Red
2 = Blue7 = BlueBlue
3 = GND----
4 = Green11 = GreenGreen
5 = GND18 = RGB Blanking GroundWhite
6 = Luma20 = Composit SyncBlack