PDA

View Full Version : RTG Cards

Marcb
27th July 2010, 13:21
Hi,

Having never owned a big box Amiga back when I first used Amigas,
I never knew anything about RTG cards and now that I have an A4000, I
still don't know anything about them...

I have an indivision 4000 fitted but I'm thinking about getting one of two cards... A Cybervision 64 or a Picasso II..

Which would be the better card to get?

Marc

fitzsteve
27th July 2010, 13:35
Hi Marcb,

There is an awesome thread over at EAB discussing exactly this, I hope its ok for me to link another site here since it has lots of useful info for you :thumbsup:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=687704#post687704

Steve.

arnljot
27th July 2010, 13:39
Of those two I'd say the Cybervision64, it supports up to 4MB ram and thus deeper and bigger resolutions.

The CV64 might have Z3 issues in certain DMA setups, but most hardware has workarounds for it like for instance the Deneb.

If you want to put down a little more money the PicassoIV has a built in flickerfixer.

Then you have the EGS Spectrum which is on par with the PicassoII card, but still in production from GVP-m and is being resold by Soft Hut and probably by Vesalia too.

Tajmaster
27th July 2010, 14:08
The CV64 is by far the better of the two cards. Its a Zorro3 only card and has more RAM than the Picasso 2.

Since you already have an Indivision I think the P4+scandoubler isnt really the best option as the Indivision is considered the best SDFF around. So, you can feed the Indivisions output into the "pass-through" port on the CV64 so all your standard screenmodes and CV64 screens are on one monitor :thumbsup:

arnljot
27th July 2010, 14:10
Regarding the pass through which I forgot in passing, the CV64 is an excellent card with an indivision which I regard as a better SDFF than the one with the PIV.

But remember that some CV64 cards are 2MB from factory, but they can be after market upgraded with 2 more MB as there are sockets on the card for the chips.

Zetr0
27th July 2010, 14:46
to be honest, I out of the CV64 and the Picasso 2, I would plumb for the Picasso 2 -

Although the CV64 has 4MB it really doesn't offer that much more, where as the Picasso 2 has an Autoswitching pass thought that will make you life so much better - let me explain.

With the CV64 and the Indivision you will need a monitor switcher to switch between the two... this is normally a switch you have to press...

However with the Picasso 2, it has a pass through (its not a scan doubler or anything like that, just a pass through but hey YOU have an indivision 4000 your set) anyway this is an auto-switching pass trough... so with the gfx card is in operation and focused the auto-switch kicks in an you are on the RTG grahpics display - say when you kickin in a bit of WHDLoad it will auto-magically switch over to the other input - in this case the indivision 4000..

see best of both worlds... its like a cheaper Picasso IV

arnljot
27th July 2010, 14:52
I'm confused, what's the difference between the CV64 pass through and the Picasso II pass through?

I thought that the CV64 pass through would be super if you used CGX4 or CGX3 rtg system software?

Zetr0
27th July 2010, 15:12
I know nothing about the CV64 pass thorugh, I dont know if the output is automatically selected or requires a button ?

I do know the Picasso though

arnljot
27th July 2010, 15:14
Ok, I think it's automatic too. I had a friend who had that card, and he was happy as a pig in... Well, in what pigs are happy in.

AndyLandy
27th July 2010, 15:14
Ok, I think it's automatic too. I had a friend who had that card, and he was happy as a pig in... Well, in what pigs are happy in.

Blankets. Happy as a pig in a blanket. ;-)

Zetr0
27th July 2010, 15:43
MMMMMMmmmmmm pigs in blankes on a cocktail stick with cheese and pineapple MmmmMmmm

anyway.... well to be honest then IF the the CV64 has the automatic pass through then that would provide a better card, only for higher screen-modes and refresh rates.

Justin
27th July 2010, 15:46

Blankets. Happy as a pig in a blanket. ;-)

Muck. Happy as a pig in muck. ;)

Zetr0
27th July 2010, 15:52
@Juvie

these are not as tastey I am afraid to say...

arnljot
27th July 2010, 15:52
well to be honest then IF the the CV64 has the automatic pass through then that would provide a better card, only for higher screen-modes and refresh rates.

Some thoughts from the hive mind:
Landrup: http://amibay.com/showpost.php?p=73597&postcount=5

matthey@eab: <snip>.....</snip>

Caius@amiga.org: http://www.amiga.org/forums/showpost.php?p=524759&postcount=10

[edit]
Sorry Arnljot, I completely agree with Mat, but in the linked post he does state prices for items and their worth, as such its price guiding/drive, now I KNOW you didn't mean that hence why I am laughing my butt off as I type it LOLz!!! Z

Zetr0
27th July 2010, 15:59
for info - censored version ;)

The ZII space being used is not much of an issue on a 3000. The PicassoII is old and not very fast but way better than ECS. It all comes down to price.

The best gfx board for the price on a 3000 is probably the CyberVision64. It's almost as fast as the Picasso4 and has passthrough for a 1 monitor solution. The CyberVision64/3D is also nice for the money but has no passthrough by default and it's a little slower at some things but does have slow hardware 3D support. These both work well in a 3000 in ZIII mode, are pretty reliable. The Spectrum is advertised as supporting ZIII also but it's still very slow and only has 2MB gfx memory. There were some reliability issues with earlier models too. It does have passthrough but I wouldn't recommend the board. If you don't have an ethernet card but want to get on the internet, then you might consider a Mediator PCI board expansion. The initial price is high but PCI boards are cheap. A Voodoo 3 card gives better 2D and 3D performance in most cases than any of the Amiga gfx cards.

some damn good info there - a distinct lack of line spaces but great info none the less =)

arnljot
27th July 2010, 16:03
[edit]
Sorry Arnljot, I completely agree with Mattey, but in the linked post he does state prices for items and their worth, as such its price guiding/drive, no I KNOW you didn't mean that, and I am laughing my butt off as I type it LOL!!! Z

lol. Maybe I did ;-)

Nah, I just googled as fast as I could and just glanced at the text. Thanks for looking out for me!

And very good you cleaned up the text and posted it here. Respect.

Zetr0
27th July 2010, 16:07
hey - you and google found it. =)

its great info and completes this thread fully IMHO =)

Marcb
28th July 2010, 09:27
Well guys,

I thank you all for all the great info, it has helped me make up my mind on a CV64,
in fact I've already jumped in and bought it after reading all your comments:)

In terms of $'s they were both offered at similar prices which only helped to confuse me:blink:

I can't wait to get her into the miggy!

This A4000 is truly now being given the respect she deserves, Deneb, Indivision, Warpengine 040, Buddha, restored motherboard & caps... and now a CV64...:thumbsup:

Now, shipping will take about 1 week so I have at least that long before my wife finds out & kills me.

fitzsteve
28th July 2010, 09:31
Nice one Marcb, thats going to be one nice A4000, remember to take lots of pics :thumbsup: